Topic

Boots, too heavy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Boots, too heavy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sean Breen

@scout22

Hey guys so i have been stalking the forums, and haven't seen any recent boot/ footwear conversations, so I would like to start one.

I am going to Philmont New Mexico this summer and will be doing moderate miles with a mid weight pack (less than 35 hopefully, but possibly up to 40). I think that I would like to bring a pair of trail runners intead of big heavy unbreathable hiking boots. And have any of you guys thought of a lightweight high boot for hiking like the Nike SFB? I have a pair, and just want to see if any of you guys have used them. (here is the link http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pwp,c-1+100701/hf-4294917252+50142 )

What are your oppinions, and what boots/shoes/footwear do you guys like.

(ps. if any of you guys have done long miles, or thru hikes please tell me waht you wore, thanks!!!!)

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I did the A.T in 4 pairs of Salomon 3D Pro Ultra 2 (Mesh) Trail Runners w/ Superfeet Green (high impact/activity) and then SOLE Dean Karnazes Ultramarathon insoles. Good combo and worked for me. Great pair of shoes — not uber light but durable and good for a pack weight of 35lbs or less IMO. For lighter hikes – NB MT101 Ultralight Minimalist Trail Runners w/ Superfeet Ultralight Insoles (black).

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I use just a pair of trail runners, even in winter. However, I've recently started using Vibram Fivefingers, and took them on a trip to Isle Royale.

Boots are a thing of the past for most backpacking routes.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

but they are generally uncomfortable and restrict movement. Trail Runners are much better. I went TR about a year ago. I need to sell my boots on line. They are just paper weights now.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Boots are for skis or ice climbing. End of story.

Nike – ah yes, the company which brought us 'arch supports', 'pronation control', and 'gel soles'. None of these have any supporting published medical research behind them. All of them are avoided by top-level athletes and coaches as being actually harmful to your body.

First, measure your feet on a Brannock Device.
    Then ONLY buy shoes which are large enough and wide enough.
    Too many people buy on appearance, or what suited someone else. Big mistake.

Cheers

Sean Breen

@scout22

Yea, I wear five fingers to run trails, and even race in. I also own a pair of new balance minimus I had for last track season(they are now retired) and I am totally with the minimalist running movement. It just makes sense.

If any of you guys run, or just want a good read, read the book Born To Run. Purely amazing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools