Topic

Merino wool base layer/ long johns in a waffle weave, Knit or ribbed?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Merino wool base layer/ long johns in a waffle weave, Knit or ribbed?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    J Davis
    BPL Member

@davisdesigns

My $4 pair of Fruit of the Loom long johns are warmer than my $80 pair of smart wool mid base layer.

The issue is because there is no air gap between my pants and smart wool
    like the Fruit of the loom have, they also stick to my pants which is annoying when walking.

Is there anyone that makes a merino wool base layer that is waffle weave, Knit or ribbed for my pleasure :cP

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

could also be that yr fruit of looms are synth or thicker as well? … synth is generally warmer for the same weight i find

you have stumbled upon one of the naughty little secrets of outdoor clothing … namely that some $5 department store piece may well perform as well or even better than an $80 "outdoor brand" one for your purposes ;)

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Waffle is way warmer!

I have two sets (one light w/waffle-weave, one mid-wt regular weave) from Sierra Trading Post. Bought them yrs ago so I don't know if they sell them anymore, but they still run a similar ad for them – Comfortrel, I believe, but no brand on the tags.

The waffle weave is sometimes too warm. Hard to believe given the light weight.

They're polyester, though but I wanted to throw it out there.

Todd

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Not a waffle, but Brynje tops and bottoms work exceptionally well. Also, not merino. I think someone makes something similar in merino, but not sure who.

J Davis
    BPL Member

@davisdesigns

The fruits are Cotton-blend and feel lighter the wool.

I stay away from synthetic base layers, they stink after one use and sticky when you get sweaty. The cotton are ok but don’t dry quick like Merino wool or have anti stink properties.

The "dirty secret" is it's all made in China, just costs a bunch more from a outdoor store. The big difference for me is the Merino wool best feel and wear-ability.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools