Topic

Gorilla tape question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Gorilla tape question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Daniel McKinney

@clemsonhiker

Will Gorilla Tape stick to silnon? I just got a silnon poncho and I would like to add some tieouts so I can use it as a tarp, but I don't know how to sew. I was thinking of using 2 prices of gorilla tape on opposite sides of the poncho to put a grommet in. Will this work?

The poncho won't be my primary shelter. It would be more for having a place to eat under, so it might not get the same level of use/abuse as a shelter would.

Thanks,
    Dan

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

I can't speak for sure but I think no tape will stick to silnylon. You might be able to hand stitch a couple tie outs?

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

Dan Johnson: resident gorilla tape expert

The stuff I have kind of holds…I'm not sure I would trust it as a tie out point. you mentioned grommets, could you just put one through the silnylon near the perimeter?

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Just tie on some lines with a sheet bend ?

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

So I did a quick pull test with some gorilla tape and some 1.3oz silnylon and i couldn't even get the tape to adhere to the silnylon. I suggest learning to sew :)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Search BPL: Bonding Silnylon

It's not as easy as you might believe.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Take a small roundish object like a rock or a styrofoam ball. Wrap the tarp around it near the corner. Tie a cord pinching off the round object and use it as a guyline.

Or take a small patch of silnylon and glue it on with silicone diluted in mineral spirits. Do the same on the opposite side. Put a grommet through this. Experiment with silnylon first to make sure it holds and the grommet won't rip out.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

"Bonding Silnylon
    It's not as easy as you might believe."

After swabbing and letting dry with alcohol, bond reinforcement patches to the tie out points with GE sil glue. Use a roller, and allow several days to dry. Triangular or half/quarter circle patches for the edges and corners, larger circular ones if needed for points aways from the edges, to spread out the force of the pull. For hemming, bond the patches inside the seam allowance line, and fold and hem the seam allowance over them. Then sew on the tieout tape, stitching at least two inches of tape to the patches, again to distribute force, and reseal. Do not use a bar tack stitch. For wider tape, boxes with Xs inside, or zig-zag figure 8s are good. Worked great for me without clamping. The glue is messy, so use the alcohol and lots of fresh Bounty to keep the job (and your hands!)clean.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Use a roller, and allow several days to dry.
    In fact, allow at least 3 full days. Yes, the curing does take that long.

> spread out the force of the pull.
    Take this seriously. Little bits of tape bar-tacked on the edge are a farce.

Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools