Topic

Ultralight Waterproof-Breathable Jackets: 2012 State of the Market Report

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Ultralight Waterproof-Breathable Jackets: 2012 State of the Market Report

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

while i understand some of the frustration .. for this particular article i dont think thats particular fair … the fabrics and construction from what i see in the store are generally the same, so the waterproofness and durability tests should be similar

the problem IMO would be the fit, which as any other item, you should try on or buy from somewhere with a very good return policy … as a short person i find it frustrating sometimes that testers on BPL tend to be taller and skinnier than me, but thats a fit issue

i often see articles that will or roger write, where their significant others also tests womens versions of the gear

the solution of course, is to get more women to test on bpl

David Hankins
    BPL Member

@hankinsohl

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Rene – I too own a GoLite medium Malpais jacket. My jacket weighs 7.35 oz. I imagine that there's some variability in the manufacturing process which causes some jackets to weigh more than others… but a measured weight of 7.9 oz does seem a bit high.

Shane Eleniak
    Spectator

@seleniak

Locale: Norcal

Great Article David.

Any thoughts on breatheability and durability of the Rab Pulse (pertex shield) vs an equivalent eVent jacket like the Rab Demand?

Thanks,
    Shane

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> If the DWR has to work for the membrane to work, why even have a membrane?
    Well, if you follow that train of thought you end up with a soft-shell jacket. Yes, these work great under the right conditions.

If you are standing around directing traffic, a long (bright orange) PVC coat is ideal. You might sweat a little bit inside it, but it WILL keep the rain out forever.

If you are exercising hard under moderate rain/mist/snow but very cool conditions, a soft-shell jacket (EPIC, DWR, pile, whatever) will work wonderfully. The heat gradient will drive your sweat out through the jacket fabric, while you are working.

If you working under torrential rain in mild conditions … try an umbrella, a big hat, or just get wet. It's all the same in the end. (Yes, we often just get wet.)

If you are trying to work hard under cold torrential rain … you have a problem. with no solution. About all you can do then is to wear a poncho OVER your pack and hat to deflect the rain. You will get sweat condensing inside, but you are guarranted to get wet anyhow, to misquote one of our betes-noir. At least the poncho will largely prevent the cold rain from washing away your body heat. (Tested down to freezing with success.)

Any claims by manufacturers to have the perfect solution for all conditions are just lies. You have to adapt to the conditions.

Cheers

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

It seems to me that laminate durability (and fabric durability, they're not necessarily the same) needs to be taken on a case by case basis. I see no evidence thus far to suggest that a problem with one particular jacket should in any way point to a problem with that construction method. One obvious example being the well known problem with one or two generations of the Mica (I've had other PU jackets that wore fine year after year), another (perhaps) being the issues we had with the Spektr.

That being said, I've not used a Demand myself, so I cannot meaningfully comment. It's been around long enough to have plenty of user feedback available.

As for the Pulse, the problem zipper failed a few months ago (the weird crease created a stress point, and my repeated yanking at this point eventually caused the teeth to tear out from the zip fabric). I saw the production one Clayton M purchased, and it does not have this issue. I have a replacement waterproof zip on order and once I get around to fixing it I'll put it back into the rotation and try to at least occasionally leave the Ozo at home. Other than the zipper issue the Pulse has been great (having a large was nice for winter use), but I haven't put enough wear into it really speak on fabric and laminate durability.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I just picked up a Pulse and can't speak to the durability yet, but after a few weeks of use I can say that I'm extremely pleased with the jacket. The Pertex Shield is far nicer feeling than any PU jacket i've seen and the construction is super high quality. The fit is indeed generous; I ordered a medium and ended up sending it back for a small.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'd like you to include the PACKA parka in its Gore-Tex version (or eVent if it's available). That parka vents very well due to its better inherent bottom venting.

BTW, I bought an REI Kimtah eVent parka on sale. Not the very lightest WPB but light enough, durable AND priced right.

I bring my GTX PacLite rain pants when on high alpine trips or when the forcast calls for it.

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools