Topic

hammock in, tent out?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping hammock in, tent out?

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Doug Smith
    BPL Member

@jedi5150

Locale: Central CA

Doug and Katharina, now you've got me curious. My dog that backpacks with me is a 60 lb Malinois (my 80 pound Mal stays home). She is sort of a wuss when it comes to temperature changes (hot or cold), and loves snuggling up with me. Inside the hammock might work…

As for your suggestion, Katharine, of under the hammock, how would I protect her from the elements (wind/ thundershowers), and keep her from chasing critters (which she does off-lead)? Do you just tie them out close enough that they can sleep under it if they choose?

When picturing scenarios, I'm talking about the Sierras in the summer. That is my primary backpacking location and time of year.

Thanks! (sorry for the thread hijack…maybe I should start a new one).

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Hi Doug,
    I have only taken my dog on three trips with me and the hammock. He sleeps under me on a Ridgerest. He has a little blanket but won't keep in on. The tarp I use is pretty big and covers us well but I have not been out with him in the rain. He will get up and walk around but he is pretty deaf now and does not run around too much. I don't tie him down either. So I don't have a whole lot of experience with him on the trail, but in the tent he was not comfortable as he could not see what was going on…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"He has a little blanket but won't keep in on."

I bought one of these for my pup when she's napping outside in cold weather. This would probably work well too.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I have been gradually migrating to a system that is primarily a hammock, but can be dropped to the ground when hanging is not feasible.

You need a tarp with a hammock and that same tarp works when your on the ground.
    The hammock acts kind of like a bivy and if your hammock has a bug net, it makes your hammock into a bug bivy when your on the ground.

For the people who don't understand why a hammock is better than ground camping, other than the comfort factor, there are many places that are difficult or horribly uncomfortable to ground camp.

Your options open up when you have the option to do either.

Marshy, muddy, sloping, rocky, … areas are no concern with a hammock.
    I have hung over thick berry bushes, jagged rocks and puddles.

You do not have to be limited to established camp sites with the obnoxious people and/or critter problems. Go hang in the bush.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yup, still own both, but if I'm solo and there will be trees, well only a barbarian would sleep in the dirt :)

If you like to tarp camp anyway, you could work your way towards a tarp that would work for both. I want something like a 12'x'10' Cuben tarp. Many of the hammock spcifiec tarps are more of a hex cut with cat curves, so the low side ends up a little short for optimal ground camping, while the ridge line is 11'-12', which is a bit long compared to most ground tarps.

A CCF pad is the best way to get really UL with a hammock (although it isn't my favorite), the point being that is another item you can share between the two systems. ENO has come out with the Hot Spot pad holder that will use your 20" pad and has additional CCF padded wings to cover your hips and shoulders.

Also, I have yet to buy a quilt and use my sleeping bag in my hammock. Your top quilt or sleeping bag can be used in either system as well.

If you do the CCF pad option, get a tarp sized for ground and hammock, and a typical quilt or sleeping bag, all you would need to add is a polycryo ground sheet and you could do it all.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I want something like a 12'x'10' Cuben tarp."

I've got a 12×12 cuben tarp from zPacks. Worked great as a hammock tarp until I bought a hammock tarp.

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

"I've got a 12×12 cuben tarp from zPacks."

I emailed around a while back and got quotes for a 12×12 and Zpacks was the cheapest. Never followed up however. I did get the hammock tarp w/doors which is great.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

One option for my question:
    "So I end up bringing a blow-up pad as well as a quilt which adds too much weight.
    I hope to get a compromise worked out over the winter.
    Any suggestions?"

Klymet Inertia X Wave 11 ounces. It is wide enough to contribute bottom warmth, allowing a lighter bottom quilt. Not 11 ounces lighter, but maybe 5 or 6?

And I would have some decent padding should I have to go ground.

James Lee

@jleephoto

Locale: Triad

I just made the switch from searching for flat spots to searching for two trees to tie together. Will probably keep the tent for trips with the spouse. Slept the first night in a hammock, my best night ever in the wild, and I was "all in."

Three biggest discoveries were: It takes a lot more insulation to deal with the cold in a hammock (specifically underneath, the hammock can be the least expensive part of the equation, and if you want to go light you have to spend more due to the need for down underquilts, syl or cuban tarps, etc.

FWIW: If you're wondering how you'd do in a hammock, you can make a nice one yourself with no sewing skills by getting a nylon taffeta tablecloth (tableclothfactory.com) for $12 and whipping the ends. A couple of carabiners and some 1" nylon tree straps (I use canoe tie downs) and you're hanging. Check out the DIY threads at hammockforums.net.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Filthy ground dweller here. I don't get all the hype about hammocks. I've used them and like them for warmer weather but I can get by better on the ground.

Todd Kunze

@kunzman

Locale: North Coast

I still have both. Warmer weather is hammock time. As the weather gets colder you have to start adding more stuff to stay warm in a hammock. It can be done though.

Kent W
    Spectator

@skipkent

Recent and happy convert to hammocks, but will still pick up a nice light tent soon for the occasional field or beach situation.  I’d like to try using  a hammock tarp with a tent to see if I can make a nice ‘porch mode’ situation closer to the ground with the hikng poles.  That would go a long way to making even a small tent more of a hang out, rain or shine.  I’m not one to enjoy being up and on the trail at dawn, much preferring to sleep in a bit, read and enjoy my tea a while.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools