Topic

BD Z Poles. Carbon or Aluminum

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BD Z Poles. Carbon or Aluminum

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    P. Larson

@reacttocontact

They would be used for walking and supporting my shelter. I live in Colorado so I see my fair share of wind. Most of my backpacking will be in Colorado and Montana. If that matters. Definitely going with the BD Z Poles.

Gimme your thoughts.

Bump

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

And yes I did a search. In every thread you cottage gear lovin' weight weenies always suggested to buy a different pole. I don't want a different brand/manufacture. I want one from BD.

Bump

David Ure

@familyguy

Hey Bump – my only issue with the Z poles is that the optimum length when using them trekking is not optimum for my shelter. As a result, I like adjustable length poles. If you are set on Carbon, then I might look at the Gossamer Gear adjustable carbon poles.

David Ure

@familyguy

Posted at the same time – ignore the GG suggestion.

I like the aluminum flick lock BD poles. Heavy but rock solid and…adjustable.

Bump.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

I have been using a pair of the flick lock pole. But they are my ski poles and the grips suck and they are heavy. BD does make a Z pole with a flick lock on them. I figured without the flick lock, I can just keep the poles at the full length and just wrap the cord around it a couple times and then stake it out. The ones in the photo are aluminum. The carbon ones don't have the flick lock.

BD

Bump

David Ure

@familyguy

"I can just keep the poles at the full length and just wrap the cord around it a couple times and then stake it out"

That would work tarping – yup.

My only concern with carbon v.s. alum is the lateral strength – carbon isn't as strong. Did you read the review of the carbon BD poles here @ BPL?

Bump

Chris C
    BPL Member

@cvcass

Locale: State of Jefferson

I have the Zpoles in aluminum, 120cm, they are great for me. I made extensions to use them with my TT Sublite. They are durable enough, they are not to heavy, and they fold up nicely.

David Ure

@familyguy

Hey Chris – what did you make the extenders out of?

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

I can't read the review…I am not a member, remember? My shelter, WHENEVER IT GETS HERE, ahem, MLD, ahem, will be a tarp.

I think I'm just going to go with aluminum. I shall consult the newly printed 'bible' by our lord and savior, Andrew Skurka for more advice. Hahaha.

Bump

David Ure

@familyguy

Ha – Skurka does actually talk about carbon v.s. aluminum.

Not a member? I am starting a Bump fund.

Bump

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I've got a thimble, two buttons, a ball of lint, and two pence for the bump fund.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Nope, no membership. The lady of the house controls the finances (and 1. she believes in the only purchasing something you need instead of something that you want rule and 2. she also makes more than I, hahaha) and if she saw something coming from an online forum, she might kick me out. Sad, but true.

Bump

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Always good to have at least one penny pincher in the household. That said surprisingly BPL has a lot of useful information.

You may be able to convince from the MYOG perspective. If you have access to the MYOG articles you can start sewing and save a ton of money creating your own custom gear instead of buying expensive name brand stuff! She probably won't buy it though ;)

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I have the aluminum Z-poles. I was originally intending to buy the carbon ones but the aluminum ones were half the price (on sale) with only a nominal weight difference. Easy to use. Great straps.

My only complaint is that they have this little mini-basket-like piece that loves to catch on rock edges when hiking through rock slides, canyons, etc.

That said, I've since bought a pair of the Fizans for when I'm hiking with beaked tarp or my Contrail. It's just easier for setups where the pole is meant to go inside or under the tarp.

No snow baskets available, if that makes a difference.

Chris C
    BPL Member

@cvcass

Locale: State of Jefferson

David, I made my extenders out of .450 diameter carbon fiber tube I got from Ruta Locura.

I turned on a lathe a small "cup" from aluminum that I epoxied into the carbon tube on one end, to slip over the basket tip and get a good fit. Both extenders weigh 1.1 ounce total.

David Ure

@familyguy

Hey – thanks Chris.

David Vo

@sygyzy

I have the BD Z Pole. Mine are aluminum and break down. I think have the 120 cm ones. They are pretty lightweight and compared to the CAMP ones I returned, are much sturdier.

David Ure

@familyguy

David, were the Camp ones carbon?

David Vo

@sygyzy

No they are aluminum. I got them because they were lightweight. They were really terrible.

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Locale: AT, follow@ www.thruperspective.com

I don't personally have the BD z poles in carbon fiber, but a friend of mine does. I have the gossamer gear ones which I like just fine. He lists his poles on his gear list as 9.6oz which is pretty respectable IMO. I really like his poles and would consider them as a runner up to my gossamer gear poles if I ever have any trouble with them. Can't really comment on the durability though.

As far as not being adjustable, if you're tarpin' it adjustables are not necessary. Just tie the line to the pole with a clove hitch (I think?) or what I do when I'm too lazy to adjust the height of my poles is wrap the line around a few times. You probably need to wrap a piece of duct tape around at the desired height to avoid slippage unless there's a good spot on the pole that will already support the line.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools