Topic

JMT. I have a permit.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning JMT. I have a permit.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Marcus Dyson

@doctordee

Locale: Yorkshire, UK

I faxed this morning, the full 168 days ahead, and this afternoon (all of these UK times) my permit reservation confirmation arrived. Solo SoBo out of Happy Isles on 26th August.

I have been planning and buying like crazy. But now it's suddenly real. And I realise how much I still need to learn and to prepare.

Bear can – I tried to buy a Bare Boxer 101 from their website, it wouldn't accept a non-US PayPal account, even though I wanted it delivered to my buddy in SF. I emailed to ask what I should do, and got no reply.

Logistics of getting to Yosemite (which seems quite easy) and from Whitney (a trifle more difficult) still need to be addressed. I've had lots of helpful advice in another post.

But… I'm on my way. Guess I better book some flights.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Congrats!
    I gotta ask..are you sure about the bear boxer 101?
    That thing is really really small…I'd be surprised if you can get more than 4-5 days (with very disciplined packing/repackaging) in there, and still be taking in decent calories. Do you plan on resupplying between MTR and Whitney? If no, realize that that is a 8-10 day stretch for most people, and resupplying requires going off trail for a good day.

Have you looked into the bv450? That's a bit more plausible for a solo trekker.

Also, if you haven't purchased a guide book or map set yet, I highly recommend Erik the Black's JMT atlas. Lightweight, and extremely intuitive to read and use for planning.

Marcus Dyson

@doctordee

Locale: Yorkshire, UK

Konrad, After the lack of response from Golf City Products, I have pretty much decided to go with the Bear Vault instead, and that's what I've plugged into my geargrams list.

But I am aiming for five days from MTR to Whitney. I know, and many people have commented, that this is a "challenging" pace. But I've seen many who've made this and faster. And without wanting to sound conceited, if I consider my previous performance, I believe it to be feasible.

I very frequently hike 22 miles with 5,000 ft of a elevation (and descent) in 7 hours. Before an expedition like this I up this to 32 miles with 8,000 ft of elevation in 11 hours. I day hiked Whitney in 9 hours. Grand Canyon R2R in under 8 hours. I did Zion Narrows top down (plus a 12 mile hike into the trailhead because the road was washed out) in 10 hours.

I KNOW this will be different, but heading SoBO I'll have the option of backing out at VVR or MTR if it looks like that last section won't be possible for me. Plus with the BV450, I can pack (a fair bit) more than in the BB101.

I'm already training hard, and I'll be doing a 270 mile through hike in the UK in May, on a similar (eleven day) schedule. if i struggle with that, I'll re-think my JMT itinerary.

I already bought Elizabeth Wenk's book, which is great for planning,but too big for the trail, and I'm not that impressed with the maps. I've heard good things about Erik's JMT Atlas, but is it really superior to PostHoler's (free) Map and Data pack, which I can print on waterproof paper and have with me at way under an ounce?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Marcus, rock on!

That's awesome that you can pull such heavy mileage. In that case, yes 5 days may work out just fine for you. Unfortunately, I can't really give you a comparison with the free postholer maps, as I haven't investigated them. I did own the Elizabeth Wenk guide, and found it more superfluous than helpful. I think the best way to gauge whether you like Erik the Black's atlas is to download a couple of free pages off his website.

I just found it extremely useful because it pinpointed all the reliable water sources, camp sites, resupply, bear lockers etc. Also, he lays it out so you can easily see the elevation profile over mileage so you can easily determine what's in store for you on certain days, etc. It was just helpful for pacing.

Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Locale: Washington State

I agree on Erik the Blacks guide. We nicknamed it the bible about 1/3 of the way through our trip.

The elevation charts were great. Although not so much laying with sore legs at night under my tarp reviewing the next days 15 miles.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I just received the trail atlas i ordered from Erik. They are on sale 20% off until march 21st.

It seems like a good guide with all the important data you would need, and plenty of room ro write in your own notes. The only quibble I have is that it is advertised as "pocket-size." well maybe that's true if you're a giant, me not so much.

At 5" by 8" it will definitely not fit in any of my pockets, so I'm not sure yet where I can stow it for quick access on the trail. i usually do like having a trail data book in a pocket such that I can easily take it out and use it while walking. But again, that may not matter for others, especially if you're a giant!

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

marcus,

have you considered just renting a bear can from teh park when you pick up your permit? it may be easier and cheaper than buying one.

susan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools