Topic

Insulated Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Insulated Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Matt Gordon

@mattyg2

I’m looking for an insulated jacket and possibly vest, mainly for my thru-hike this Feb. Unfortunately none of the local outfitters carry any of the jackets I’m looking at.

In general, I’m looking for a system that I can take down to around 0 F, but will also hold up well to 30 and cold rain. That being said, they need to be able to repel some rain, or at least be wearable under my rain shell (which is one size bigger so it fits over other layers). I’m trying to decide between down or synthetic, or a combination of both. Any recommendation on layering system…

warm down jacket
    syn. Vest / light down jacket
    down vest / syn. Jacket etc.

Some of the jackets I’m looking at are:

WM Flight Jacket 10.5 oz / $200
    WM Flight Vest 5.5 oz / $150
    WM Meltdown Jacket 17 oz / $275

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover 12.5 / $145
    Patagonia Down Sweater 10.5 / $159
    Patagonia Puffball Vest 10 / $89

Integral Designs Dolomitti Jacket 21 / $160
    Integral Designs Logan Vest 13 / $100

WM JACKETS
    Are there any differences in the two jackets besides a hood and shell? Is one warmer that the other, and can they be worn under a pack while walking around town or other non-strenuous activities where they will rub? Do down jackets generally work well under shells, or are they too bulky? Can you hike in the vest when the temp drops, or is the shell too fragile?

PATAGONIA JACKETS
    Patagonia Down Sweater…seems less bulky, but how warm is it?
    Patagonia Puff Pullover…synthetic seems to hold up better to layering, again how warm? Also seems like the vest would work well while hiking.

ID JACKETS
    Fairly heavy, but seems like it would work the best, being able to put a vest under for extra warmth, and still comfortably wear under a rain shell.

Any personal reviews, experiences, recommendations welcome.

Thanks,
    Matt

Jerold Swan
    Spectator

@jswan

It sounds like you want both serious warmth and good weather resistence. Given your requirements, the Integral Dolmitti jacket might be the way to go. The Puffball vest is also a really nice, light, compactable piece that goes well with just about anything.

canyon steinzig
    BPL Member

@canyon

Locale: Nor Cal

micropuff jacket
    wm/ff flight/hyperion
    I think this will be a good combo the micropuff will ensure you have some synthetic, the down will fit under the slightly big body of the jacket not constricting the arms. you can sleep in one or the other or both

Of course there are many many combinations of other brands that would fullfill this role, I just think this is the lightest for the warmth. About 22 oz whihc is the weight of a Dolomiti and way way warmer. Even a Golite coal is almost 20 oz. That said, I have not gone out in this combo so this is only a thought. I don’t have wet and cold where I live so don’t face your issues as much.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools