Topic

pants/shorts fabrics?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear pants/shorts fabrics?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Joel Hulett

@jhalan

Locale: Midwest

I'm a new guy here, this is my first post.
    I've been tinkering around with sewing off and on for about a year now and I'd like to take a go at making a pair of pants or shorts for my outdoor adventures. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for fabrics for pants or shorts. I haven't seen many posts about the matter. Any suggestions would be great thanks!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Supplex

owfinc.com sells it

sunblock

doesn't absorb too much water so it's pretty good in rain

sustains a lot of wear

feels comfortable against skin

I wear these all the time

Joel Hulett

@jhalan

Would you use a heavier material for the knee patches, or leave it as is?

Joel Hulett

@jhalan

Jerry, would it be possible to show a picture of your MYOG pants? I'm very interested, and thanks for your help.
    Joel

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Pattern (this is folded, I would iron it out to make it more flat if I was going to use it):
    pattern

You might want to take apart a pair of pants that fits you to make a pattern.

front view:
    front

side view:side

You cut out two identical pieces. Actually mirror images but both sides of supplex are identical so it doesn't matter.

You sew the two pieces together at the top. Front and back. Use a French seam.

Then sew them together on the inseam with a french seam. Voila! you have a pair of pants!

I am always amazed at the topology that this produces a 3 dimesional pair of pants.

Sew on pockets.

Hem the bottom of both legs if you're doing shorts, make an elastic sleeve if you're making pants and put in elastic.

Put a sleeve in the top. I use both a piece of elastic and a nylon cord. The elastic holds the pants up if I don't have anything in the pockets, the nylon cord is needed if I'm carrying weight in the pockets.

I should write up a more detailed description that's easier to follow.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Nice Jerry.

Thanks for the pics and details.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools