Topic

Hike Naked Day

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!

Ok I've heard about this uh "holiday" off and on for awhile. I know there are some people who take naked hiking very seriously but to me it always seemed like something you tell newbie hikers to embarrass them or whatever.

So is this day for real? Who here's a practicing member?

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

http://www.hikingnaked.com

This is a bigger thing in Europe than here, but it is a tradition on the AT. While I've heard of it on the PCT, all the naked hikers I've met there were either bathing, sun-drying, or soaking in a hot spring.

YMMV

definitely HYOH, BYOA (bare your own _ _ _ ).

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

For whatever reason, people who shouldn't be hiking naked are invariably the ones who do. :(

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

@Ben: speak for yourself…..

2 female hikers atop Kearsarge Pass on National Hike Naked Day

nude 1

Anonymous
    Inactive

"For whatever reason, people who shouldn't be hiking naked are invariably the ones who do."

This reminds me of one more reason to hate mosquitos: They're never around when you need them. ;0]

German Tourist
    BPL Member

@germantourist

Locale: in my tent

There is no such a tradtion as "Hike Naked Day" in Europe, but some European countries like Germany have a century long tradition of naturism. Just recently a short naturist trail has opened in Germany where you can hike naked year round…. weather permitting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1215505/Naked-hiking-trail-set-launch-Germany-naturists.html

I have hiked on the AT, PCT and CDT during "hike naked day" but most hikers would just talk about it, but not actually do it – mostly due to mosquitoes and potential sunburn. Only occasionally you will see a naked hiker on that day.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

June 20, 2012. Get your gear ready.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"June 20, 2012. Get your gear ready."

And your DEET.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

And sunscreen too.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Don't forget a blindfold.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

OK Ben so I gotta know… WHY DID YOU TAKE THAT PICTURE??? And BTW Bob you got a front veiw of that picture

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

@Mark:

Ben's photo (correction: the photo which Ben posted)appears on the hikingnaked.com web site along with a couple of others.

And even if I had the front view photo, which I don't, I certainly would not post it here.

However, if you're really interested, you could always spend months hiking and hope to encounter that which you seek. Stranger things have happened, but that's another story and I didn't have a camera with me at the time.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

@Mark — I actually first saw the photo at this thread here. Separately, according to this article, the photo was actually a German hiker caught (and fined) in Switzerland for hiking naked and making a nuisance of himself.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

zardos

I sweat a lot with much clothing so typically wear the above outfit.

Ben F

@tekhna

Is that Sean Connery? Gah, my brain.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

I wouldn't recommend hiking naked in the southeast EVER. Remember Deliverance scene with Ned Betty. Just saying

Brad

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

You MAY find a senior backpacker hiking nekked. But it's not on purpose of course, it's only because they forgot to dress that morning. It's merely one among other things they forgot, like leaving their tent behind.

Have pity on the poor, forgetful senior. You'll be ther someday too – if you're lucky.

BTW, I did hike nekked on the AT in Virginia in 1995 and I have the photo to prove it. Just sayn'…

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Not with nettles and devil's club on the side of the trail, and it would space a group out quite a bit ;)

Years ago, we were headed up some switchbacks to find several 20-something women coming down the trail topless. It gave a whole new perspective to sternum strap design :D

Lisa Frugoli
    BPL Member

@alfresco

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Another view!

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Bob Thanks anyway Ben Good comeback

Todd G
    Spectator

@todd-g

Is this "skin out weight?"

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

Ike and Ben2 somehow both got my pic.

WTF?

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

I kept going back and forth between bob and lisa's photos… Thats not the same pack is it? Bob? Lisa? can you shed some light

Lisa Frugoli
    BPL Member

@alfresco

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Not the same pack – not the same person. In the photo I posted, the pack it a GG Mariposa Plus. And it was taken on naked hiking day – June 21, 2010.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Silly auto-correct. Mark meant to type "same crack?"

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools