Topic

Tarp on Tent platforms

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Bridenthal
    BPL Member

@walkingandy

Locale: NE Ohio

I'm hiking the Long Trail in August. I'm thinking of switching over to a tarp for the trip. Does anyone have any tips or pictures of possible tarp set ups on tent platforms?Is it a big deal or non issue?

thanks
    Andy

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

I haven't done it, but depending on how big of a platform, your guylines might have to go off the platform. Don't really see any other issues.

Karl Gottshalk
    BPL Member

@kgottshalk

Locale: Colorado, USA
    wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

you probably want to carry longer guylines.
    using stones or twigs or nearby bushes or trees as stake substitute will help too.

you might have to find a suitable spot on the ground in the worst case.

freestanding tents are way easier to pitch on platforms.

Andrew Bridenthal
    BPL Member

@walkingandy

Locale: NE Ohio

I think I'll just make sure I have plenty of guyline. As long as it's not raining the same night was I'm at a paysite, it probably won't be a big deal. I carried a Tadpole on my Thru-hike that was the ticket for platforms and shelters.

Thanks
    Andy

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

My tarptent contrail on a platform in MA in 2010:
    http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=99e712df73ef9d32248e933996cea262&entry_id=16168

(click on the photo to enlarge it)

Per above comments, have some extra cord, look for nails and notches in the platform itself to tuck in cord or cord wrapped stake or the like. It's a bit of a PITA but certainly can be made to work, and IMO definitely not a reason to buy a free standing tent, unless you're cursed with living in an area that has a number of these things and they can't be avoided.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools