Topic

Beta on Coyote Buttes North permit Mar 20-21

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Beta on Coyote Buttes North permit Mar 20-21

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

We're going to be in southern Utah the week of Mar 19th. I'm looking for any words of advice on the likelihood of acquiring a walk-in lottery permit to hike Coyote Buttes North ("The Wave") that week (we could try on Tue and Wed).

Is that late enough that there is excess demand and the chances are low? Or are we beating the crowds and chances are good?

Also, is it "must be present to win," as in: If some of us are there and are selected, can we get permits for additional people we'll be meeting up with the next day, or must all 5 of us be at the FS office to be added to the permit?

Thanks for any info on the situation there. I'm going to try calling the FS next week, but sometimes one gets a better answer from non-official sources. Thanks!

Bill

P.S. Any other "don't miss" day hike recommendations in the area? Our tentative plans are to hike Buckskin Gulch one day but we'll likely have another half-day or day to fill before heading to Zion.

jody vukas

@bologma

For photography in that area I've read good things about the Wahweap Hoodoos and Yellow Rock (off of Cottonwood Canyon Road).

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Thanks. I will consider those options, also.

I called Kanab Visitor center. If they draw your name, you can add names to your permit, up to the limit (6 per permit, I think, and total per day day which is 10), including names of people who aren't present. I was told there were 50+ people there on Mon, 90+ yesterday. So long odds.

jody vukas

@bologma

Thanks for the insight on the in-person lottery, I'm in the same boat having missed the online lottery several times but I can't justify spending my morning there with such low odds. Not when there are so many other things to see.

Btw, these photo guidebooks are outstanding:
    http://www.amazon.com/Photographing-Southwest-1-Southern-Utah-2nd/dp/0916189120
    http://www.amazon.com/Photographing-Southwest-2-Arizona-2nd-Ed/dp/0916189139/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b
    Even if you're not that into the photography he gives good trail descriptions and there's a really useful table in the back that rates various areas for their scenic interest as well as their photographic interest, as these two things can vary greatly. It's good to know what time of day to visit these spots as the location of the sun really makes all the difference.

What are you doing for the rest of your itinerary?

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

I am interested in taking pictures. I may look for those books locally, today. No time to order online as I depart tomorrow.

Plans are in flux, due to weather. We were going to drive via Donner Pass today, but forecast of 4 feet of snow and 100mph winds changed our minds. Now going via Tehachapi pass tomorrow, Zion on Monday. We meet my brother there and are doing two days or so dayhiking: Angels Landing, Observation Pt, etc.

Now considering going to Monument Valley at the end of the week. Not much hiking there, so far as I can tell.

jody vukas

@bologma

I don't think you'll find much hiking at MV unless you go up on top of Hunts Mesa with a Navajo guide. There are some awesome pictures taken from up there but it's expensive from what I recall. The valley itself has a dirt road that can be done in a passenger car with some care depending of course on the weather. It costs $5 or $10. I've heard many recommendations for the guided Navajo tour that goes further into the valley but I didn't get to do it myself. Probably too late to get a reservation but The View Inn has unobstructed views of the mittens right from your balcony. Maybe you'll get lucky and catch a cancellation?

On your way from Zion to MV check out Antelope Canyon, another pay site that's guided by the Navajo. You can also stretch your legs out at Horseshoe Bend just a few miles south of Page. You need a tripod for Antelope.

Personally I prefer Bryce, Escalante, and Capitol Reef along RT 12 over MV as the drives between those spots are far more scenic and varied.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools