Topic

BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BushBuddy vs Ti-Tri Caldera Cone

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

using the inferno with a ti-tri lengthened boil times in all tests compared to the ti-tri alone. I was surprised that no one ever commented on this. Anyone else have a similar experience? Is this accurate? Maybe a factor of having a smaller fire?

I'm a little surprised that it would make a noticeable difference. I suppose that since the Inferno inner cone takes up some volume that, yes, as you say, the fire would be smaller and therefore slower.

My main interest with the Ti-tri was completeness of burning. I live in a high fire danger area. The LAST thing I want is to leave some smoldering remains behind that wind later fans into flames. I love that the combustion is so complete with the Ti-Tri. Ash disposal is really a snap.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

I wonder if a simpler alternative to the TiTri inferno would be the Ti caldera but with a raised mesh grate:

ie just a single wall "TLUD" style. This would just need a circular mesh grate (and either supports or cutout in cone for it to rest on).

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Alan,

One of the nice things about the design of the grate as it stands now is that the grate will lie down flat inside your pot. If you remove the inner Inferno cone, you'll have a much larger area, and you'll need a larger grate in order for it to be practical. You then have to figure out how to pack the grate. I don't really see an advantage.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

You could make the grate out of a suitable bendy material (e.g. perforated Ti foil) and just roll up with the cone. The advantage is just quicker set-up / less parts compared to the standard inferno set-up.

As the outer cone is wider than the inferno, the above mentioned grate could be mounted higher (for same fuel capacity as inferno) which would mean the proposed single-cone-style grate could be narrower than if at same height as standard one (but probably still wider than the standard inferno grate).

David Vo

@sygyzy

Great comparison, thank you for posting.

Not wanting to start a new thread for a simple question, can someone tell me how to properly roll up the two floor pieces? I have a Sidwinder and the Caldera Cone itself is easy to roll up into a cone because it's long and thing. However, the two floor half circles are harder to bend and I am not sure how they should be sandwiched into the Tyvek sleeve. Any pictures or descriptions would be appreciated.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

I've got the Inferno Option with my cone, so I have the smaller, one-piece floor. With the one-piece floor, I just roll it and put it inside the cone inside the Tyvek sleeve.

I imagine that it should work the same way with the two-piece, but I don't have a two-piece floor, so I can't speak from experience. I wouldn't worry about damaging the Ti or something if that's your concern. Rolling it hurts it not at all. Ti is very tough stuff.

Rand from Trail Designs frequently monitors these forums, so he may comment.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Jim, would you know how the Ti-Tri Inferno and Bushbuddy (both of which I have) compare to the Four Dogs BushCooker LT2? The LT2 seems like it might be good compromise between the two, and certainly the easiest to set up… just take it out and light it. Aslo the sturdiest of the bunch.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Miguel,

I apologize, but I don't know. I'm currently evaluating the Backcountry Boiler and the FireFly, but I haven't ever seen a Four Dogs BushCooker. There are an awful lot of wood burners out there. :)

I'll try and contact them and see if they're interested in me having a look.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools