Topic

Light Simple Hiking Pants [suggestions]

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Light Simple Hiking Pants [suggestions]

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Bradley Jay
    BPL Member

@standupdouble

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to get a new pair of pants. However, everything I have come across has been either: discontinued [patagonia sol patrol], has too many unnecessary pockets/zippers, or is too heavy. I'm just looking for a simple breathable lightweight pair of pants that fit well [not too baggy, can scramble in]. Also I'm not really into the zip-off shorts option [too bulky and would rather roll up legs]. I was wondering what's been working for everyone?

All the best,

Brad

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I have bought and used a number of different things and have found the Arcteryx Rampart pants to be the best, lightweight, nylon, fast drying and typical Arcteryx fit so they don't look like your wearing parachute pants. The knees are articulated so you can move easy and they don't have zipper pulls hanging everywhere. The pocket designs are ingenious with a cover concept that protects contents but without zippers.

On sale now for $59 here http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/product.aspx?id=3847&aid=12&currency=152&shipto=226

Chris Wright
    Spectator

@chriswrightcycles

Brad,

What kid of fit are you looking for?

Bradley Jay
    BPL Member

@standupdouble

I'm looking for something articulated that isn't so baggy that you can hear me coming [think snow pants growing up].

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

These are the only pants I use for hiking anymore. Light, pretty effective DWR, breathable, and tough. They've held up very well to lots of bush whacking.

Plus, they look like normal khakis… Minimal pockets, normal styling, neutral colors.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

My favorites are single layer, uncoated nylon runners' wind pants from Nike and others.

I usaully buy them used at second hand stores for about $5. They are typically made from about 2 ounce per square yard nylon and weigh 6-8 ounces per pair.

I buy them in extra large when I can, even though I wear a medium. I find the extra room to be comfortable and non-binding and they slip over heavy underwear easily.

I also wear them in hot weather and loose pants are much more comfortable in hot weather than tight fittings ones.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

I own 2 pairs. I wear them for everything. I'm wearing them now.

James Connolly
    BPL Member

@jamespjc

Locale: TX

They aren't cheap, but they have served me well – http://arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Pants-Shorts/Rampart-Pant#

Larry M
    BPL Member

@maethros

Locale: Mid South

These. Only pants I've owned that have lasted more than a season. Mine have more miles than I can count and still look new.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

10 oz. super durable. Legs roll up well, and built in belt.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I, too, have a pair of the Arc'Teryx pants. Couldn't be more happy with them.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Arc'teryx Ramparts.

Light, lots of freedom of movement (I can climb anything in them) and DURABLE. I tend to bushwhack through thick desert scrub (cat's claw and worse brambles) and my pants look brand new. I think I've only gotten one tiny thread pulled and only my OCD eyes can find the miniscule loop. I've had a few other pants that got trashed on their first outing.

My 30x32s also come in at 8.6 oz. Not bad for a pant that is virtually windproof, breathes/light enough for desert heat hiking and paired with longjohns I can hike with them into freezing temps.

Bradley Jay
    BPL Member

@standupdouble

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

I've really dug my Patagonia Gi II pants. Very simple. I am still trying to figure out a way of cutting out the attached belt and replacing it with a removable one.

I still really dig mine though.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

Daryl – I like your suggestion! I don't like spending more than $20 on pants unless they are 100% wool trousers for work :)

Tell me more about the Nike wind pants. You find nylon ones? Most of what I see are polyester. Do you have a link to something like you buy?

David Vo

@sygyzy

Do the Rock Craft pants ever go on sale?

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Todd Hein
    BPL Member

@todd1960

Locale: Front Range

I've had a pair for 5 years and they are now just starting to show wear…I don't wear shorts because of these pants.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Not the convertible ones. Buy them and then cut off all the needless belt loops, pockets etc. I was able to get mine down to 10.5 oz. The only pockets I left were the front pockets and one side pocket without the flap (for maps.) The nice thing is that they are super comfortable to sleep in since there aren't all the zippers to poke you all night.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Ty Ty,

I don't have a link because I buy them in 2nd hand stores. Value Village in Seattle is where I have the best luck but that's not going to do you any good where you live.

It may be that people buy more running/wind pants up here than where you live becuase it is usually wet and cool here.

Daryl

Bradley Jay
    BPL Member

@standupdouble

I tried on a pair of the Rock Craft pants. Nice good fit. Legs are slim around ankles which is good. I liked the fit overall but I still want to try out some of the arcteryx models before I pull the trigger.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I like the Prana Zion pant.

For one thing it has an ingenious zippered cargo pocket you can easily get into from a standing or seated position.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Check out the REI Adventures pants: http://www.rei.com/product/784060/rei-adventures-pants-mens-32-inseam . They do offer a number of inseam lengths and far less baggy than the Sahara pants.

Rail Riders makes a number of excellent hiking pants and a couple that would take rough scrambling.

Peter James
    BPL Member

@pbjames

Locale: High Sierra

I agree about all the salient points on the Arcteryx Rampart pants, they are just fabulous. It was hard to stomach the price at first, but they have proven to be worth their weight in myrrh. After various REI branded nylon pants all going out of commission with busted zippers, failed stiching, you name it; the Arcteryx have been a marked improvement.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools