Topic

Ultralight is hurting my son’s grades

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Ultralight is hurting my son’s grades

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    RVP
    BPL Member

@tunaboy999-2

Locale: Mid Atlantic

In 3rd grade math, my son had to estimate which weighed more: a full water bottle or a sleeping bag. He chose the water bottle (of course) and was marked wrong! Sheesh…

Sean Heenan

@roadster1

Locale: Southeast mountains

You'll have to request a teachers conference and explain ultralight backpacking and get that grade changed. Of course maybe the teacher is using that brand new ultralight water and water bottle.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Did they specify size of said water bottle or give a degree rating for the sleeping bag? I bet not. Not enough data to come to any conclusion. Dismiss the question.

This is an outrage!

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

Bring a full 1 liter water bottle (even a with a Platypus this will be about 1025g), bring your sleeping bag (my 3 season bag is 645g), and bring a scale next time your son's class has show and tell or for your next parent/teacher meeting.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Pull the kid out and put him in an online school or homeschool him yourself. No more stupid questions and he will be free to hike with you more:)

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

I totally agree with Cesar's comment.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

my wife is a teacher and i have tried to explain to her that her references are not universal and what seems an obvious answer to her can be misleading or completely incorrect.

even with us approaching 40, the times have changed quite a bit… her students this year had no idea that an LP record is 12 inches or what a 45 was. one of the kids said a "45" was about 6 inches long and held 18 in the clip. she marked his correct.

i'm going to ask her the question here and see what she says.

i never thought about it, but my 3 season bag weighs less than a liter of water. wow.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Not sure about grade-school kids but eventually all students need to learn about density relative to water (you can get online and look at your state's science objectives) as per internations science standards and the new SAT II (unless they've given up on adding science to the SAT – add that's the college entrance exam for the USA).

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Its just too fuzzy. Maybe a kid from another culture will think "water bottle" means a five gallon jerry jug. Its not fair to penalize kids for not know totally irrelevent information.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Teacher salaries being what they are… the poor teacher probably camps with a rectangular Hollofil bag with flannel lining. And those weigh a couple bottles of water at least! So don't "show and tell" your '900 fp down featherlite' bag. That would be heartless. :)

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

As a teacher you had me laughing out loud with that one, and I agree it would be cruel :)

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

my wife the teacher said "how big is the bottle?" she said the question was too vague and therefore could be correct with either answer. she would give your son extra points if he could explain why he was correct (what information is lacking in the question or weights compared).

she said your son should make it a point to go back to the teacher and explain why he choose that answer and to do it with a smile.

OR

in thinking about it, the teacher was actually right, why are you carrying that water, you shouldn't cross any springs or streams with a full water bottle. your bottle should weigh about an ounce, your sleeping bag is at least twice as heavy as that! what are you teaching your son??? ;)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools