Topic

How you look when you go backpacking…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique How you look when you go backpacking…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I dress for function not look.(at my age who cares ???)
    That is my clothing has to work with the way I layer, nothing to do with brands or colours except that of late I have realised that most of my stuff is black or grey so I have added some red bits just for fun.
    This is how I typically look in good weather , I am on the left.
    Summer look
    summer 2

And this is me in winter…
    winter look
    Franco

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

What I wear on the last day is pretty much what I wear on the first day, just dirtier and smellier!

I like convertible pants – in shorts mode during the day, pants mode in the evening. Generally wear a merino t-shirt, and add layers if it gets cooler. Most clothes are in the green or tan color range. The greens and tans don't necessarily match up real well, but they also don't scream at you from a mile away.

Comfort, warmth, wind blocking. No stylie points!

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Lime green, blaze orange, khaki, brown, blue & black.

Newton crossing a stream

And let's not forget fuzzy since I don't shave on the trail.

;-)” height=”413″ src=”https://dpcr19kltm61a.cloudfront.net/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1331252353_59241.jpg” width=”550″ />

Form follows function.

Party On,

Newton

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

There is no such thing as fashion on the trail…… except of course Dirty Girls.

me

And who says you need to carry your stuff in a backpack.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

It's funny, in the regular world, I'm pretty critical of the way I look and the way others look and act.

But, when I'm backpacking, I could absolutely care less. The way I look at it, when I come across others on the trail or in camp, I'm walking into there living room. The same way, if they run into me, they gotta deal with it as if they are an intruder in my house.

If someone finds it easier to step out of there tent in there skivvies to get dressed, don't bother me, and I do the same. Wanna go skinny dipping or underwear swimming, that's your perogetive. I've been know to strip down to take a bath and rinse my clothes off in a creek. I'm not gonna do it 5 feet from you, but if you walk up on me, I won't be diving for cover like I might in the regular world.

I wear what's comfortable or practical, and I assume the same of others. Wanna wear a lime green shirt and florescent orange shoes, be my guest. Don't be surprised to find me walking around with a dorky looking brimmed hat with a bandana hanging out the back to cover my neck. If it's faster to stuff a wind shirt or rain jacket under some cord, then it's gonna hang out of my pack all janky, rather than take the time to stop, take my pack off and find a place for it inside.

I don't look at the boy scout wearing a 60lb pack with pots and pans hanging off of it, any different than I look at someone with a 15lb pack that's all nice and tidy.

Hike your own hike is the way I look at it. As long as you are outside, having fun and not getting hurt or endangering others. Oh, and if I catch you littering, I don't care if you look like Brad Pitt, I will beat you with my hiking sticks and feed you to the bears.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

add short shorts…ready for town…h

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

That certainly makes a fashion statement.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

bbbbb

So not like this?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I wear a lot of the same clothes that I wear everyday. Nothing ultra high tech or ultralight. Lots of garage sale finds. I also wear one or two braids, like I wear during the week. Very, very rarely I dress up for some occasion and the hair goes down and a simple dress goes on. But on the trail and during the week, I look like one of these versions.

edited: sorry about the crappy quality, I mailed them from my ipod to my email etc.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Don't come to Humboldt Roger. Camo is very popular here. Nothing to do with "cashing in on the fame". I've never heard that before either. Lot's of hunters and not a lot of money. Their one good jacket is the one they wear. Lot's of homeless, deadbeats, and hippie wanna bees wear it to blend in.

Ties get noticed here.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

>I make an effort to look like the locals when traveling, to draw less attention from tourist predators.

I don't think it's so much looking like the locals that you have to worry about in order to not stick out. Rather, it's ACTING like a complete doorknob and clueless bonehead that draws real attention to you.

Looking confident and like you have a purpose, even if you're lost, will make you less of a target for tourist predators.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Renee always comments on how nice everyone looks in the trip reports.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Renee always comments on how nice everyone looks in the trip reports."

Well, that's because she's judging everyone by you. When your standards are rather low to start with……

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Doug. Do you want me to post that photo of you?

style

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I look like a goofy hunter when I backpack. I am always on the prowl for creatures of every size and make. UL Creatures

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

My hiking, traveling and everyday outfits are one and the same —

I'd like to get to that simplicity, … maybe a cubicle monkey job with a lax dress code or go back to an outdoorsy job. Have a pack in the trunk and take off after work with only a shirt change required.

Anonymous
    Inactive

aa

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

You know Tom, you would look really good in a plaid ascot cap.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

How I look when I go backpacking….

beard

How I feel when I go backpacking….

thelonius

Anonymous
    Inactive

"You know Tom, you would look really good in a plaid ascot cap."

That's the nicest thing anybody's said about me in ages, Nick. But the sad truth is that I'll never look good in much of anything. The good news is that my clothing bill is miniscule, and I never get into fights with my wife over closet space. ;=)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Doug. Do you want me to post that photo of you?"

UNCLE!

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

som

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

This should not become the BPL equivalent of the website where adolescent girls were posting pictures of themselves and looking for feedback from their peers. I think the "that" picture of Doug looks stylistic in black and white. There should be no shame on this forum!

me Me

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 141 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools