Topic

Patagonia most arrogant comapny?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia most arrogant comapny?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

"I inspected the Houdini full-zip for…….. If I can find one on sale it is replacing my Ion garbage-bag-with-arms."

Brett. It is on sale in the store where i used to work. It's 95 EUR, but i'm not sure if thats a bargain for you. If so i'd be willing to send you one.

I don't have money for it myself.

PM me if you want,

Eins

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Brett: The Buck mini-tool has both scissors & pliers(Now discontinued, I think – but can find on ebay) works great and is lighter than a Leatherman Micra or Squirt.

To be fair, each implement on the Buck is of lighter construction (less durable?) than my Leatherman tools. But hey, for most trail uses the Buck works great at <2 oz!

Todd

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Brett, there have been a number of reviews of the Houdini recently. I'm about to add mine and it will be a glowing review as well. I will have had it for a year in March. I wear it everywhere including downhill skiing. It's held up really well. For me, it has the perfect balance between breathability and water resistance. I bought mine at REI at a 20% discount. The 20% off coupon comes twice a year as I recall.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks for the history, David. Learn something new everyday. :)

Charlie Bean

@charlieb

You guys are knuckleheads…companies like Patagonia, TNF, Monbell, whomever you choose…would to hear feedback and new ideas from users, BUT, they have the knowledge and experience not to because they can get sued if someone has a similiar idea to a finished product they have made. I've heard it happen many times especially when you look to the huge companies like Nike or adidas. Think about unfortunate legals like this before you accuse companies of being arrogant or too big to appreciate what you do.
    CB

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Charlie Bean:

At least read some of the responses (like the very first one) before you snicker at fellow hikers for being "knuckleheads".

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Brett,

If XL Houdini fits, and the color available is OK (some kind of light green), 30% off at Sierra Trading —

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/0,43926_.html

JRS

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

.. I tried it on today and will be returning my Ion and getting a full zip Houdini.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

.. I trust your judgement and that of the other reviews I read here. And I was steamed (figuratively and literally) about my Marmot (or should I say MarNOT) Ion.

I just snapped (like the 'knuclehead' I am) and bought the Patagonia Houdini in blue. I'll have to return a couple unwanted items at Return Every Item (REI) to pay for this!
    Ill post my review as soon as I can.. it takes about 15 days to get stuff forwarded to me here overseas.

Charlie, please don't take all these posts literally. I suppose I threw 'chum in the water', to get all the great replies we saw from others who contributed ideas to companies large and small. Companies do not have emotions such as arrogance of course; but they do have a corporate image. The more I learn about Patagonia the more I like them.

PS, the Houdini full zip is the equivalent of $195 here in Japan, so of course I bought it online at lower cost.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Wow, someone trusts my judgement! I'll have to have you talk to my wife. I lost all claim to good judgment when I mentioned Nano Rain Chaps to her. "Let me get this straight, they're like pants but they leave your a** hanging out, that's rich". I'm joking, of course, until I mentioned the price and then it got REALLY serious :).

Seriously, I know you will love the Houdini. You clearly have good judgement for avoiding that $195 price! Ouch!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Brett:

Shock us! How much does a Houdini cost in Japan? Oh, and can you post a pic please? Thanks.

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

"PS, the Houdini full zip is the equivalent of $195 here in Japan, so of course I bought it online at lower cost."

Patagonia have end of season sales in their Jimbocho store and also have a clearance store in Sapporo if you're up that way skiing.

I saw Houdini's at the Jimbocho sale for about Y6,000 – unfortunately I'd just bought one for Y9,000 … Still, even that was far less than retail.

But Y23,100 is very, very steep. You wonder how they can justify the price difference?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I see. Thanks, Damian.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools