Topic

Need help identifying animal tracks in snow.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Need help identifying animal tracks in snow.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

These were taken this past saturday in Wisconsin. I'm not sure if it is a wolf or cougar track. There is a large population of wolves in the area, and a cougar has been spotted in the area, but cougars are really rare here.

adf

asdf

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

In your top picture, it looks like there might be evidence of a claw–mountain lion tracks don't show claws. But it's hard to rule out mountain lion given the quality of your pictures. The tracks are about as wide as long (which would suggest cat), and there aren't obvious claw marks. Also, it looks like the animal was directly registering (i.e. the front left foot stepped almost exactly where the front right one did), which is also something that cats usually do and dogs/wolves don't.

Got any better pictures?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Sorry Scott, these are the only two I have. I was surprised at how far apart the tracks were, which as you suggest points to direct registering. The prints were almost 3 feet apart.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

By the general shape (no index digit, middle digits about equal length), and hint of claw in top photo, I'd guess canine, But if the print are one ontop of the other from a feline it would look about the same. Hard to say.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Not lynx?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"Not lynx?"

That would be a very large lynx, at 3 feet apart.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Just asking because I have seen Canadian Lynx near that area and they can be up to 41 inches.
    lynx

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"By the general shape (no index digit, middle digits about equal length), and hint of claw in top photo, I'd guess canine, But if the print are one ontop of the other from a feline it would look about the same. Hard to say"

Agree.

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

Looking at the second picture again, the tracks look more elongated than in the single picture above. And I can sort of see claw marks. I'd vote canid now, too, but tracking is an art, not a science.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

I'd guess feline, but I'm no expert. Here's a nice site tho

http://www.bear-tracker.com/caninevsfeline.html

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

The person who sort of oversees the Wisconsin DNR's role in wolf pack study says this is a wolf track. That jives with most opinions on here. Thanks everyone!

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I'm thinking wolf too. Partly the track but also the pacing. Tracks can be confussing but often a look at the pace of the tracks clears things up.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools