Topic

Early Summer Sierra Shakedown (aka North Lake to South Lake; June 24th-29th)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Early Summer Sierra Shakedown (aka North Lake to South Lake; June 24th-29th)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Randy Brissey
    BPL Member

@rbrissey

Locale: Redondo Beach, CA

Since maybe this is the winter that never was………..

I have never gone over the Sierra Crest in June before. School ends on the 22nd. If we get a big storm this spring I will switch to an alternate plan.

The plan is to backpack from North Lake to South Lake (54 miles) starting on Sunday June 23rd and hiking out to South Lake on Friday June 29th.

This is a backpack to get out early and enjoy the Sierras (after last summers snow and mosquito fest). I have two other backpacks in the summer to get ready for. This will be the fifth time on this loop.

Drive up to Mammoth Lakes Saturday for one night acclimatization before going to drop off my car at South Lake Sunday morning.

Day 1. Sun the 24th Hike from North Lake over Piute pass to down near the Golden Trout Lakes (maybe 7 miles).

Day 2. 25th Golden Trout Lakes to Goddard Canyon trail junction (14 miles)

Day 3. Tues Goddard Canyon trail junction to Sapphire Lake (about 12 miles)

Day 4. Sapphire Lake over Muir Pass to upper Le Conte Canyon (around 8 miles)

Day 5. Le Conte Canyon up to Dusy Basin (6-7 miles)

Day 6. Fri Dusy Basin over Bishop Pass to South Lake ………and home.

I am looking for a couple of backpackers that don't need to be with others. When I get to camp I explore and do photography. I can hike 12 miles before lunch ( or not leave until noon) and enjoy the rest of the afternoon.

For this trip I will take Microspikes (for Muir Pass) and a Delorme InReach (for my wife's peace of mind).

At the end of the summer I have planned a 14 day 225 mile trip up the Sierras. I have always wanted to go south to north.

Randy

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Last August, I did this route in four days, even with photography time. Just about everybody that I met going the other direction was trying to do it in six days or more.

–B.G.–

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

"Last August, I did this route in four days, even with photography time. Just about everybody that I met going the other direction was trying to do it in six days or more.

–B.G.–"

But Bob, you are a hiking machine!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"But Bob, you are a hiking machine!"

I'm just another old guy like Nick Gatel, but without the beard.

–B.G.–

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools