Topic

No new gear in 2012……..but……..

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) No new gear in 2012……..but……..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I had taken the pledge, no new gear. But then I had a safety award debit card show up, and I had another one expiring, so I took the plunge for $58 and replaced my DR with a Stratosphire 2. Maybe Big Bend at the end of the month now……

TT Stratophire2

David Ure

@familyguy

Suweeeet!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Hi Joe
    I found that "no new gear" thread rather amusing given some of the participants…

Anyway, that guyline placement bothers me, so here it is…
    To get the best tension on that shelter, think of the two Pitch Lock corners as N and S, so place the two guylines at E and W .

Set up…
    If you have the time and can be bothered, please try the two types, Henry's and mine.
    He can't do mine and I don't like his…
    This is the official TT version :
    Henry's way
    and this is the TT Downunder way :
    Franco's way

What I am interested to find out is which one folk think is easier to do.
    (tip : mine only works if you start with a Pitch Lock corner and move to the right of it…)
    Franco
    BTW, no new gear for me since yesterday…
    Art
    Night time does not count, but well done !

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

Hi, my name is Art and this is my first meeting, it's been almost 12 hours since my last gear purchase . . .

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

bought a pair of FA guide softshell pants fpr $50 to replace these ones … my partners were complaining about unseemly sights and smells from the posterior region when they belayed me …

first step on the road to gear hoardom =(

on a side note the new FA guide softshell pant are nice, light, and breathable … and if on sale, cheap

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Yes, well … I am still interested in how SS2 owners set them up..
    Franco

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've only set mine up once or twice. I used Henry's method which worked well. I'll give your method a shot the next time I get it set up.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Eric are those pants similar in weight to the Paty Rock Guides (I think I've seen you mention that you've had the RGs)? I like the weight of the rock guides but want something that aren't so baggy at the bottom. Those FA's look pretty nice.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Not bad — why not buy new gear even if you could have easily used both cards to buy gas instead (like Ben Franklin said about a penny saved is a penny earned and all that?? :)

Ben.
    The Gear Enabler.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

maybe this tent. Pretty cool for sure.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

….I got bored and decided to order a new tent. ;-)

Make that Big Bend trip a reality Joe and share it with us.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

brendan …

very similar for slightly cheaper … same type of fabric … mine weight 11.8 oz in 34/30 … very breathable

ill post up a review once i get enough pitches in em

a nice thing IMO is that the zippered pockets are deep … they are designed to carry an avalanche beacon … its easy to carry yr keys, wallet, headlamp, etc .while climbing … stuff you dont want to leave in yr pack in case yr second drops it

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools