Topic

Hiker critical after CO poisoning from stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Hiker critical after CO poisoning from stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

"A HILLWALKER was fighting for his life last night after being poisoned by his stove.
    Rescue teams found outdoors enthusiast Phil Morgan seriously ill in a tent on a remote moor. He was suffering from severe hypothermia but tests later revealed suspected carbon monoxide poisoning and brain damage. Last night, friends were praying for the 49-year-old in intensive care at Borders General Hospital."

No info on the stove used, but as temperatures are now well above freezing it could be any type.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2012/03/03/camper-fights-for-life-after-being-poisoned-by-stove-in-tent-86908-23773085/

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Not good news. Curious as to how long the stove was running.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

The guy is still in a coma. Apparently he had a gas lantern as well as stove, so the CO could have come from either.

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2012/03/07/trail-walker-remains-in-coma-after-carbon-monoxide-poisoning

I think I will get some of these visual CO detectors for when I am forced to cook in the vestibule

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Stuart

> I will get some of these visual CO detectors for when I am forced to cook in the vestibule
    But will you achieve anything with them?
    NO guarrantees are given, NO sensitivity is quoted, NO response time is given.

In fact, one person commented:
    "These patches are a complete waste of money. Would you use a smoke alarm that just changed colour? Carbon monoxide kills very quickly. The only thing these are any good for is helping the coroner determin cause of death. Sorry to sound hard but I work in the gas industry and am constantly amazed by peoples ignorance when it come to their own safety."

I have been cooking in my vestibule for 20+ years. What matters are 1) a low-CO stove and 2) ventilation.

Cheers

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

> NO guarantees are given, NO sensitivity is quoted, NO response time is given.
    True, but these have been on the market for many years and are marketed (by reputable companies) for the purpose of preventing CO poisoning in a domestic environment. If they were ineffective or misleading then they would have been withdrawn.

> I have been cooking in my vestibule for 20+ years.
    I bet this guy has too, but this time something went wrong, with either his stove or lantern.

Given that these CO indicators are small, lightweight and inexpensive I think that they are worth consideration when using a stove or lantern in any confined space such as a hut, snow hole or tent.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

That lantern. There lies the real culprit. Sad situation that could have been avoided easily. Best wishes for him and his family.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Pure speculation, but I suspect the lantern too. It is currently dark from ~6pm so he could have had it on for several hours, possibly inside the tent, whereas a stove is normally on for just a few minutes at a time. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

From his partner: “He did not make an outdoor fire as the wind had picked up. He used his Camping Gaz light and a small stove in the tent instead. It was something Phil had always done. His decision to use the light and stove in this tent on this trip appears to have been an error of judgment. He was still ­unconscious this evening, there were just a few small involuntary reflexive movements, no response to voice commands.”

Not good.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Good news – this guy has just come out of the coma and is expected to recover. A close call.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-17444034

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools