Topic

Sleep Apnea – Provent nasal Epap instead of a CPAP – A lighter alternative for hiking and travel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleep Apnea – Provent nasal Epap instead of a CPAP – A lighter alternative for hiking and travel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

Any cpap users out there that have tried this? http://www.proventtherapy.com/

This looks like the magic bullet for those of us with moderate to mild sleep apnea, and I am going to try and get it prescribed so that I can hike with it. It will mean a world of difference if it works, and it looks like it can't weigh more than an ounce.

When the alternative is to get a battery and carry 5 lbs of cpap and battery, or to keep my hikes down to a night or two so that I don't get too sleep deprived, this looks AMAZING.

Keith

Eric Marcano
    BPL Member

@ericm

Locale: Southcentral Texas

Yes, I've tried it. The nasal patches cover the nostrils and are designed to allow for unobstructed inhalation while partially blocking exhalation. This backflow of air causes the breathing passages to remain open.

They take about 5-7 days to get used to and you have to be diligent during this acclimatization time (in other words, stick with it).

I've used them on the Appalachian Trail, Lost Creek Wilderness, vacationing overseas, etc., however, these type of trips are the only times I use them (plus about 4 days before a trip to get used to them again).

I hope to get a sleep study done this year while usIng ProVent and then decide if it's an all-the-time solution for my particular situation.

I suggest downloading info from their website and taking it to your doc since its still pretty new and they may not be aware of it. If your situation is appropriate by all means give it a try.

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

Good to hear that at least one of us here has tried them, and they are working.

I will definitely download the info and take it to my doctor. After seeing the cpap threads that have been had in the past, it sounds like many of us might benefit from these.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools