Topic

Best ultralight 2 person tent for appalacian trail?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best ultralight 2 person tent for appalacian trail?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Gerard Nytra

@nytro

I am in the market for an ultralight tent that I can use solo for 2 weeks on the Appalachian trail in May or July this year. However id like it to be a 2 person tent for a few car camping weekends with my girlfriend and a 24 hour paintball event in the July with a friend sharing this tent.

I currently dont own hiking poles but I may buy them in the future. Id like the tent to comfortable but not cramped. Under 3 lbs (with footprint if necessary) as im going to carry it myself and would like to dive into a very light setup :P

What I like about 2 wall tents is how you have the option to take the rainfly off and watch the stars.

Here are the tent a narrowed it down to:

+ Tarptent Double Rainbow (love the design, but i was worried about condensation ruining my down bag, i read off henrys site about the clip in liner to help reduce condensation. I also like how you can make it freestanding if I ended up getting poles)

+ Tarptent Scarp 2 (havn't researched too much on this tent but reminds me or a large tarptent moment)

+ Easton Kilo Tent (Ive been reading on the side walls sinking in, could be a design flaw or just a rare case but its on sale right now for $290 and its pretty darn light)

+ Big Sky Evolution 2p (Ive read orders take a few months but ive got the time, it might be too expensive at the end of ordering)

+ Big Agnes Flycreek UL2 (It might be abit too cramped but I like its small footprint and its also on sale for 290)

– I thought about the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo but it seems abit big for my tastes, id really be using it solo more anyways and something i might be able to take early spring in case I get light snowfall.

From experience can you guys help me pick out the best one?

Gerard Nytra

@nytro

Bump

David Vo

@sygyzy

Are you talking about the Easton Kilo (1 peson) or 2P (2 person)? The 2P is $400 from what I've seen. For the Big Agnes, read the reviews. I'v learned that what they rate as a 2 person is going to be quite a tight fit. Are you OK with that?

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

Both are sold as one person tents but the Solong especially will easily fit two friendly people. You look far thinner than me, and my girlfriend and I both fit with no problem. Also the sides roll up exposing mesh walls for star gazing, and I have never had condensation issues of any kind. Check out their site for more info. Call Judy or Mark if you have any questions. Well under 2# for either tent in silnylon, but you will need hiking poles, or poles they sell just for people that don't carry hiking poles.
    Lightheartgear.com

Michael Mathisen

@mathix

Locale: Oregon

Not to sure if I can help since I have never hiked in/ delt with east coast humidity. I do own a Tarptent double rainbow and quality wise you can't go wrong with Tarptent. I would imagine if you do experience condensation in a tent it wouldn't damage a down bag. Most down bags have quality shell materials that are resistant to condensation dropslits. So shouldn't be an issue on short trips.

Gerard Nytra

@nytro

David for it being too cramped im taking Big Agnes out of the equation and backcountry as the easton kilo 2p at 279 right now. Def would go for 2 person.

Gerard Nytra

@nytro

Thanks Robert the Lightheart SoLong 6 looks good for storing extra gear ill look more into lightheart tents as well. Im 5'11 173lbs so i could even go shorter than that tent but the design is very nice!

How do they hold up to heavy rain or light snow?

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

I can only comment on rain. They are bombproof!!! They need to be seam sealed before use. Lightheart Gear will do it for an extra $30. I did mine myself. I had been in some serious all day rain and windstorms without a drop getting in. They have great ventilation so you need to have a good sleeping bag.

Gerard Nytra

@nytro

That might be a problem in the fall or early spring for me, but the huge wedge option looks awesome on that the duo, having two doors would be great if the door is along the side. But once I start adding additions that could turn expensive. (Id still need to buy poles, and id probably get good ones too.)

Any other tent options or input on the ones I picked?

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

For car camping and paintball, do yourself a favor and pick up a cheap $50 Coleman tent. No sense in wearing out an expensive backpacking tent, as these activities will be rougher on gear, and other people won't treat your stuff like you do.

For backpacking, you might want to give a look at zpacks as well.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

I'd recommend the TarpTent Squall II. Two people, two pounds, not too big, not too small, weather-worthy, priced right. What's not to like?

Gerard Nytra

@nytro

I have narrowed it down to the Lightheart Duo or the Tarptent Double Rainbow are there any problems with either tent? Anyone using the lightheart duo?

Gerard Nytra

@nytro

Bump

Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

Don't know anything about the tent, but you can get a 40% off coupon through cleansnipe for backcountry's outlet store departmentofgoods.

http://www.cleansnipe.com/cheap-hiking-camping-gear-sale/easton-mountain-products-kilo-tent-2person-3season.htm

Gerard Nytra

@nytro

That price is great for the easton kilo but im leaning to the Tarptent Double Rainbow (from the looks stronger wind resistance and a near 4 season tent) and the LightHeart Solong 6 probably with wedge (great views, not as cramped, very light) where I could incorporate walking sticks into it.

I looked into the zpacks hexomid solo plus but i saw some videos of rain hitting it at night and it sounded awfully loud and crinkly. Not to mention the price with tent, footprint and netting. it was over $400! However super light. I saw some pics from franco from tarptent showing amount of space it takes with taught lines, seemed abit big.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

My Zpacks Hexamid solo plus does fine for me on the AT. I am taking it out for another 4 nights on the AT over the weekend. Its looking like rain all 4 days too… A buddy will be bringing his Hex solo…

The solo plus is fine for me to share as long as it is with my wife or son, otherwise I would rather share the twin size with a buddy…

I agree, they are not inexpensive, but I don't regret dishing it out either…

On the other hand, my SMD Lunar Duo has also done well along the AT, except for the time I set it up next to a creek…I awoke with quite a bit of condensation. Of course in this spot with 2 people inside the tent, doors closed up and no breeze, any tent would have been the same way…especially a single wall tent…

However, for the weight it is a great tent. Easy to set up and more room than any other 2 person tent I have been in.

Based on use, either one of these tents would be suitable for the AT.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Did you consider the Tarptent Stratospire?

Sarah Kuhn
    BPL Member

@sckuhn

Locale: Mountainous Ohio

"Best ultralight 2 person tent" is not going to be the 'best ultralight solo tent'…..
    I solo in a TT Rainbow, I assumed I would like the TT Double Rainbow for 2 people – but the wall angle limits the headroom too much for my taste, so I now 2 person in a SMD Lunar Duo – wonderful space.
    Decide which is more important to you…. the best 1 person or the best 2 person – 1 tent can't be both. If you more frequently hike solo, I'd put my $ in a solo tent. If you tend to be out more frequently with 2 people, I'd put my $ there…. all depends on what you really want to do.

Gerard Nytra

@nytro

For the money, 2010 update with size (close to lightheart duo), ability to use in late fall, early spring and go free standing if I ever need to opportunity im going with the Tarptent Double Rainbow. I just read a huge debate over the lunar duo vs the double rainbow and since it was expanded a coule of inches seems like a winner to me!

Now before I make my order, does anyone have a 2010 model double rainbow that they wouldnt mind selling?

Sarah Kuhn
    BPL Member

@sckuhn

Locale: Mountainous Ohio

Mine is the 2011 version (not 2010 version), just purchased in September 2011. I have used it for 2 nights, needs to be seam sealed, comes with liner and pole extenders….. I'll ship it to you for $300….
    email me at skuhn152 at yahoo . com if you are interested.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I carried a TT Double Rainbow as a solo tent a couple of times. Lots of room, and having two doors/vestibules was great. Not too heavy, either, but it wasn't the best 2-person tent, so I ended up buying a TT Moment for solo hiking and a SMD Lunar Duo for when I hike with my wife.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

you intend to carry solo.

If I were U, Id buy 2 shelters to serve the 2 needs.

You can have a solo UL shelter you will love anywhere from 12-24 oz or so, and wont want to replace. And you can have a heavy, spacious, bomber, 2P conventional tent for car camping. You can find conventional tent on sale for ~75-100.

If your like most, from the day you put that 40+ oz tent in your pack solo, you will start looking for how to replace it with something lighter and smaller. Skip the whole process and start at the end.

Gerard Nytra

@nytro

If you think so id get the TT moment then that fast setup is great! wish I could get the best of both worlds under $350 or so.

Anyone have experience with the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 Tent? I know im swaying away from using hiking sticks but put it this way half the time ill go car camping and the other solo. Id really prefer just one tent for the money. Live in an apartment and dont have too much room.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

For car camping, you can pick up Eureka apex 2xt with fiberglass poles for about $75-80. This is about the lowest priced quality tent out there, (except for ALPS thru ScoutDirect where you get ALPs gear for ridiculously low prices) Weighs about 6 lbs with the fiberglass poles. Its what my son uses in scouts for car-camping troop campouts. It is a great moderately spacious 2P tent, especially for the money.

That leaves you with up to ~$270 to spend on yourself, and you have lots of options.

A SMD skyscape trekker is ~225 and 24oz , but you need trekking poles. Or the moment is a good choice without, or even the Contrail (need trekking poles) is also about 24oz. Or a tarp and UL bivy could be in the ~16 oz range in silnylon. The SMD gatewood cape and serenity net tent together are ~19 oz and ~$220.

You are in the range of a hexamid solo with net at ~285 too, and at only 9 oz.

Gerard Nytra

@nytro

loving this idea I think that sounds like the most reasonable way to do it!

i can have my cake and eat it too without it getting too expensive

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools