Topic

Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60 Arrived!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60 Arrived!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

I had to exchange my medium hipbelt for a small. With a 30 inch waist I really had to cinch down the medium till there was no strap left.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

The hipbelt is one of my favorite things about this pack. I'm planning on taking it for a test hike in the next day or two, and I'll try to report back soon.

Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

Locale: So Cal

I backordered a Crown regular size on line from REI today. The stores near me dont have it in stock (2 REIs and an A16.) They're not saying what the delivery date might be yet. I used the REWARDS20 and my $2.47 dividend :-)

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

Wanted to add a clarification on frame sheet stiffness as I couldn't seem to find this information before trying/buying these packs in person. The Crown VC frame sheet is super flexy. If you empty the pack and stand it up it droops considerably under its own weight. You could fold it nearly in half very easily. I don't know if the difference is in the frame sheet or the thicker foam, but the Vapor Trail is considerably stiffer. It will stand up straight under its own weight. I actually prefer the design on the Vapor Trail over the Crown because of the stiffer frame and cushier belt and shoulder straps. The Crown back panel is definitely cooler though. What really surprised me in person is the Blaze frame sheet. It is WAY stiffer than the Crown or VT. Rating its capacity the same as the Crown is confusing at best.

David Ure

@familyguy

Not to mention that the belt is firmer and thicker on the Blaze so it will definitely carry more load. THe shoulder straps are also wider and longer (padded portion). The Crown is essentially frameless and I suspect you could get better stiffness with a Z-lite pad in say, a Jam.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Is there anyone who had a great experience using the Vapor Trail and has now used the Crown VC? If so, any thoughts about how the two packs compare when it comes to carry comfort? The reason I asked is that I want to pick up an extra pack to be a loaner. I had given my VT to someone in need… and I find I need one more loaner pack. Given my positive experience with the VT, I thought the Crown VC would be a great replacement since it's being advertised as the VT refined and improved.

I gave it quick try at REI today and didn't find it as comfortable as I remember the VT. Of course, there are four possibilities. My memory sucks. I have gotten used to the Gorilla, the Crown carries differently (maybe better for me), which is effecting my assessment, I was using simulated weight which means the pack wasn't as carefully packed… and since the frame sheet is only semi ridged it might not be performing optimally, or that it's carry comfort has dropped (at least for my back shape).

What are people finding?

–Mark

David Ure

@familyguy

Hi Mark – I found the suspension (combination of shoulder harness and belt) to be superior on the VT. The Crown adds a bunch of features but to keep the weight in check it forgoes the better suspension of the VT. At least this was my finding (same thing with the Blaze v.s. the Ozone).

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

I have not done a trip in either yet, but have loaded both up with my gear and food in the appropriate weight range. Based on that the VT was much more comfortable for me. I disliked the Crown immediately but had the totally opposite reaction to the VT. My current plan is to go with the VT for my 2-3 day pack, the only thing that could change that is the temptation to try a 2012 Gorilla.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I would be interested if you end up comparing the GGVT to the 2012 Gorilla. I switched from the VT to the original Gorilla when it first came out. I thought the VT was slightly more comfortable, but the advantage was slight, and in every other way the Gorilla was a better match for me. The 2012 Gorilla is more comfortable for me than the original, I think it's a good, maybe better that the VT. Of course, I could be bias, since I own the 2012 Gorilla, and don't own a GGVT anymore :(

–Mark

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Sorry, as much as I like the design of the GG Crown 60 I can't abidee its clammy back pad, regardless of how many grooves it has. Who thunk that one up?

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

You guys are tough customers. My large is maybe slightly longer than I need but I have no problem with the foam back nor the shoulder straps compared to my ULA Catalyst. It is different but at this point both will carry my 12-20lb load all day in comfort.

What I worry about more is the longevity of the stretch mesh pockets. It looks like a stray stick or bush could tear them.

I'm using it frameless also which puts the weight at 30oz.

Alina G
    BPL Member

@alina

Locale: Toronto, Ontario

Hi
    I would greatly appreciate your help in terms of sizing the Granite Gear Crown VC 60 for me. I am planning on getting the women’s version. I am a little confused about the measurements. When measuring the length of torso do I press the measuring tape right up against the spine, following the curvature, or run the tape from the neck to the hips in a straight line? The first method will make the measurement a little longer. I did use the second method and my torso was 17and ¼”
    Regarding waist I know that I am to measure at hip crest. Easier said than done. Is it somewhere around the belly button? If yes, then I am 36” but the measurement was taken right on the skin. I guess I need extra space for clothing. Maybe a jacket, fleece etc. as well. How much extra do I allow for clothing? I see that some guys talk about waist measurement not the hip crest. I guess it is because guys measure the same whether at the hip or at the waist?
    Based on the above should I go for short torso and large belt? I am surprised that I am short torso as I am 5’6” which is not short for a woman and I think that I am proportionate.
    Does anyone have the optional belt pockets? Do you find them useful? Do you have one or two of them? I am not sure if I should get them or not.
    Does anyone have the lid?
    Thank you in advance.
    Alina

Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs

Do you really have to undo 4 straps to access the main pack body? It sure looks that way from the photos.

John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

I have had a GG Crown 60 for about 9 months. Yes you have to undo four clips to get into the main pack body. Rolling up the top is what takes the longest. At the most it takes 10 seconds–usually less. It is not a problem for me. I like the roll top. It is one of my favorite features about the pack.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

I agree… it isn't as bad as it looks. I miss my hip-belt pockets though so I'm eye-balling the Zpacks pouch. I've put about 12-days on the pack and still feel the same about it.

Good pack but we shall see about longevity. I still use my Catalyst too and if I had to carry 25+ lbs I'd take the Catalyst.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

If you're going to carry gear at the higher end of the comfort range for the Crown VC (let's say around 30 lbs), does it make sense to look for a different, stiffer framesheet? Or perhaps add another sheet to the first (there's plenty of room in the framesheet pocket)?

If yes, where might one find a stiffer framesheet? I noticed on the Nimbus Trace, they're now using maple wood (!) as the framesheet. Makes me wonder if 1/8" plywood would work.

I have a kneel pad made of blue CC foam. Trimmed it to fit into the Crown's framesheet pocket, would that increase stiffness and thus carrying capacity? Or would it just pad my back a bit more?

In which dimension is the stiffness important? Do you want the sheet stiff top-to-bottom, a vertical stiffness that resists folding/collapsing from top to bottom? (If so, the existing Crown VC sheet is not very stiff in this dimension). Or is the stiffness important in the horizontal dimension, ie, that it resists conforming to your back? Based on all the aluminum-stay type frames you see, I'm guessing you want little flexibility in the vertical dimension (so the top of the pack does not fold/sag down) but you DO want flexibility in the horizontal dimension (so the frame moves with your back).

If the vertical stiffness is the important one, than simply adding one or two flat aluminum stays, oriented vertically, to the existing framesheet, might stiffen the Crown VC for heavier loads.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

"If the vertical stiffness is the important one, then simply adding one or two flat aluminum stays, oriented vertically, to the existing framesheet, might stiffen the Crown VC for heavier loads."

If you are using a tent that has poles you can use the pole(s) as a additional stays. That is what I do in my GG Vapor Trail and I think it works great. The pack does not sag at all with 35 lbs. I put them in the back "pocket" in a V shape.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

I played around extensively with the framesheet with the Crown, and personally, I would look toward an aluminum stay system for that weight.

The Gossamer Gear stay in size Large is a perfect match to go up to the load lifters on the Regular Crown. I imagine it would work very, very well to sew webbing channels on a very light plastic sheet. You wouldn't need the full thickness that GG uses–it would mostly be there to do what a framesheet does best, to keep the stuff in your pack from poking into your back. All the load transfer would be provided by the stays, and with Granite Gear's hipbelt attachment, they would have direct contact and strong load transfer to the belt.

A more efficient, but far more difficult strategy would be to sew some webbing channels directly on the pack itself. They wouldn't (probably couldn't) be the full length of the back panel, but if you open up the seams (be really careful! this is dangerous!) you maybe cover the necessary parts so that it would stay in place without moving. It would all have to be spot on, though, because the way GG designed the pack requires a certain amount of tension along the back to keep things in place.

David Ure

@familyguy

The Crown offers an optional Klymit inflatable backpad, which is stiffer than the plastic frame it comes standard with:

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Vapor-Current-AirBeam-Frame-P345C53.aspx

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Vapor Current Airbeam Frame…interesting, didn't know that was available. Weighs 3 oz, and the flat plastic framesheet that comes with the Crown VC is 5.6 oz. I could have a sub-2 lb pack for another $50!! Woohoo!

Blows my mind that an air bladder would be stiffer. But GG is advertising that this Airbeam Frame increases capacity to 40 lbs.

Arn Aarreberg
    Spectator

@aarrebea

Locale: Northern Bay Area, CA

This is very interesting and I was also unaware of this being available. Kind of makes me rethink my VC 60. I originally purchased this pack as a load hauler for longer trips and trips where I need to be the pack mule with my wife. I was disappointed with the carrying ability over 30 lbs, but, I really liked the pack overall and the hipbelt is great. This may be a simple and relatively affordable fix that decreases weight and increases comfort. Win, win!

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Good catch, Dave. I forgot about the Airbeam frame. I'm wondering, though, if the stiffer frame would mean that it wouldn't adapt to the shape of your back as well as bendable stays. In that respect, I would think the stays are still preferable.

But the Airbeam, if it works better than the framesheet, would be a much easier fix, especially with the current REI coupon and similar 20% off sales.

David Ure

@familyguy

It's similar to the system used by MLD. I wonder if any users of the Full Suspension MLD packs could comment on carry….?

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

Dave, my Exodus FS is still my go-to pack. I can't comment much on it's carrying capacity past 22 lbs, since that's about the most I've ever had in it. My base weight ranges from 8.7 – 9.3, but when I take my 10 yr old daughter total weight can hit 22+. At these loads it rides like 8# in my Murmur and is more comfortable (for me). Sorry that I can't speak to how it does at the weights you guys are talking about, but I'd expect it to do very well at 30#. Combine the good air beam stiffness and transfer with the excellent GG hip belt and you likely have a winner for 30+ loads.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools