Topic

Backpacking the Trinity Alps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Backpacking the Trinity Alps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    J H

@jlhilliker

I'm planning a 3 to 4 day backpacking trip in the "Green" western part of the Trinity Alps in northern CA late May or early June this year. Does anybody know the current snow conditions of that area? I'm sure the higher parts of the Trinities would be too cold/snowy for that time of year, but I figure the lower elevations of the western sections should be mostly snow-free and comfortable temps. I'm considering the New River loop or East Fork New River loop. Does anyone have experience with these trails? Or do you know of any other that could be hiked in 3 to 4 days?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Call the Weaverville Ranger Station 530 623-2121

The way it has been lately I would think that access would be good early this year. They did get some snow a few days ago. Keep an eye on March's weather.

Chris C
    BPL Member

@cvcass

Locale: State of Jefferson

If the current non-winter weather holds the trails will be mostly clear by then, I went out dayhiking yesterday and the trail only had 6 inches of snow at 3500 feet elevation.

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

Anyone have any updates on conditions/snow levels? It's still unclear whether or not any trail condition reports will be available online this year

Paul Schwerdt

@flexabull

Locale: State of Jefferson

My friend and I were able to drive to the Swift Creek trailhead at the end of April and only had to cross a couple of easily managable snow banks. We didn't walk down the trail long, but I imagine we could have made it a couple of miles before we encountered any real snow.

It's been really warm the last few days here too, low 80's around Trinity Center. So I would think by late May there are going to be a few places that will be fairly easy to get to.

And I think you are right, not sure if and/or when the Forest Service will be providing trail reports.

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Call Weaverville Ranger Station for trail condition.
    530 623-2121 ext. 1760 for trails

Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools