Topic

Sunscreen – how do you get it off?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Sunscreen – how do you get it off?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stuart Murphy
    BPL Member

@stu_m

I favour broad spectrum "sports" type creams. These are usually of lighter consistency than the general alternatives, so perhaps don't make you sweat quite as much. Even so they are difficult to remove at the end of the day — particularly if out in the sun longer than 4 hours and have had to reapply the cream, it is difficult to remove from arms, leg and face.

I'm talking about at home where after a bike ride I generally scrub as much dirt/sunscreen off as I can using paper towels and then use soap. The same thing that makes the sunscreen stick to you even when sweating etc, means it's very difficult to get off. Ordinary soap does not do the job. I guess some kind of abrasive soap in combination with the paper towel precursor would be best.

If I move this scenario to camping where there is not necessarily limitless supplies of water etc, how best to remove the cream so I can spend a reasonably comfortable night and not oil up the sleeping bag liner?

For hiking I have never worried much — I wear long shirt / pants, so it's only my face. For mountain biking in summer however, I would be wearing short sleeves/shorts. The cream accumulates a lot of dirt.

How do you deal with this?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

The detergent used to wash dishes might work a little better

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hot soapy shower. What's with the paper towel wipe? Use a washable towel.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

+1 to both the above; take a hot soapy shower, use a washcloth or scrubby thing like a loofah…why kill trees with the paper towel thing?

On the trail, I use a bandana, Campsuds, and water, well away from any stream, lake, etc.

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

my foremost advice would be to be judicious in your brand selection.
    for instance, i formerly used badger and it NEVER came off.
    and burts bees too…both left me looking like casper and only a brillo pad would
    remove residue.
    urgh.
    secondly, since scrubbing (however mild) further irritates skin, i now use chamomile tea (green tea works equally as well and provides anti-oxidant kick to skin cancer prevention) both are my summertime staples. both help soothe sunburns too!
    brew a gallon-sized jug (4-6 tea bags steeped overnite or longer depending on preferred strength)and store in frig. take a bath in it (or pour over body while in shower) and/or gently blot face and ears with the tea bags themselves. i use this as a precursor to my normal soap routine.
    this works well for me.
    having learned the hard way, i buy only soleo organics and/or raw elements sunscreens kinda costly, but no schwagg ingredients. neither are greasy and neither require excessive removal procedures.
    best.
    lt

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools