Topic

JMT hike time question, Happy isles to Reds meadow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion JMT hike time question, Happy isles to Reds meadow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jody carter

@finbox

Sep. of this year me and a friend will be section hiking the JMT the first leg (this year) will be Happy isles to Reds meadow or Reds meadow to Happy isles (depends on permit) How long is this hike I have looked for times of this stretch but most have times for the full length of the JMT will five days of hiking be enough?

Thanks

long time reader 1st time poster

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I've done it in 2 days, but 5 days would be much more scenic and just about right.
    2 days between Happy Isles and Tuolumne
    3 days between Tuolumne and Reds Meadow
    Keep in mind if you go from Reds Meadow to Happy Isles its net downhill by 3,000 feet or so. Of course if you need to acclimate then starting at Happy Isles might be better.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Based on the snowfall so far this winter, this September will likely be very dry. Which means stream crossings will be very easy and not cold, but that small water sources and snow fields will be gone so you should factor that into your daily plans and maybe bring one more liter of water storage.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Having done the whole JMT, let me say that it is far easier to end your hike going DOWN that big hill from Cathderal Pass west of Tuolumne Mdws to Happy Isle rather than to start your hike with it.

Cathederal Pass is 9,700'
    Yosemite Valley is 4,035'
    That is 5,665 feet of elevation change in 16.7 miles
    The only truly level spot in that is Little Yosemite Valley.
    Which direction would YOU rather go?

Be sure your permit allows you to stop overnight at Little Yosemite Valley campground. Enjoy a great swim in the Merced River. Note there is a ranger station at LYV and they WILL check your for bear can and your permit, which needs a special endorsement to camp at LYV.

Leave your car in the parking lot at Mammoth Mountain Resort. Take the shuttle bus down to Reds Mdw Resort and head for the valley.

From the Valley, take the 5:30 pm YARTS bus back to your car. Be sure to make reservations for that bus or get in line very early; it is the main transport for workers between the Valley resorts and their homes in Mammoth Lakes.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

when does the YART bus stop running?
    isn't it some time in September?

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

YARTS runs year-round; it's the NPS Shuttle bus between Mammoth Mtn Resort and Reds Meadow that shuts down.

you'd have to check the RM website to see the projected closure date.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

since Tioga Pass closes, I'm not so sure about a year round Yarts, at least between the Valley and Mammoth.
    I'll check their web site.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

YARTS between Mammoth and Yosemite goes to weekends only after Labor Day, then ends at the end of September or when the road closes, whichever comes first.

If the Mammoth-Red's bus isn't running you can turn left at Shadow Lake and hike out to Agnew Meadow, then up the road to the Mammoth Mountain Inn where the town bus connects year-round. This is probably about the same effort & distance as JMT to Red's. Alternately hike to Red's then continue on the JMT to the Mammoth Pass trail and into Mammoth Lakes. Also after the shuttle stops but before the snows you could probably hitch.

Hiking the JMT and I took 2 days from HI to Tuolumne, 2 more days Tuolumne to Red's. Coming from Sea Level the two passes let me know it. I mailed food to Tuolumne so I wouldn't have to carry much the first two days.

jody carter

@finbox

Thanks for the replies, forgot to mention we plan on doing half dome as well.

We where going to leave our car at the end point and get a bus to the start, in case we cut it close we could drive to the airport late, and not be dependent/in a rush to get the last bus.

Getting these permits is like doing my taxes…:(

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools