Topic

Los Angeles, CA Area

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Los Angeles, CA Area

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan S.

@badscooter

Locale: New England

Hi all! I'm excited to finally post something on here having just recently joined. Anyway, I am headed out to the California area for the first time this June for 7-9 days. After hiking the New England area for years I'm excited to get out and explore some new territory.

Anyway, I'll be visiting some friends and we're hoping to get in 3-4 days of trips or a short backpacking circuit. Looking to do something in the Angeles National Forest/Sierras/Sequoia/KIngs Canyon area, with a possibility of making the trip to Yosemite. Anyone have any suggestions for some good destinations/backpacking loops?

Thanks everybody!

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Hi and welcome to BPL.

I am more familiar with the SEKI area than Angeles National Forest. If you are comfortable doing about 15 miles/day there are several amazing 4 day loops in SEKI. Rae Lakes Loop or the North Lake to South Lake loop are both popular and it's easy to get a permit online (right now) now that Inyo permits area available at http://www.Recreation.gov. If you want to start a little closer to home there is a good loop out of Cottonwood/Horseshoe Lakes over New Army Pass, into Miter Basin then back via the PCT. The possibilities are almost endless. If you're interested in more details send me a pm.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I live in Los Angeles but I'd recommend you drive north and spend your time in
    Yosemite or Kings or Sequoia. I live here and that's where I go when I have a free weekend. Yosemite is 5 to 6 hours away and Sequoia/kings about 4 hours. Whitney is 3 1/2 hours up the road. If there is a lot of snow then I'd head to Golden Trout Wilderness, if there is not a lot of snow this June then just know the mosquito's will probably be out in force.

Ryan S.

@badscooter

Locale: New England

Thanks for the input everybody! After talking with the guys I'll be out there with a little bit longer it looks like we're going to be looking to do a 3 day trip to the King's Canyon/Yosemite area in addition to maybe a opne day hike a little bit closer to Los Angeles. Definitely looking more for scenery and a peak or two rather than a crazy amount of mileage. A couple of nice peaks that don't require a permit would be fantastic.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools