Topic

Baffles distance in down quilt- 8″ too much?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Baffles distance in down quilt- 8″ too much?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Branko Grujcic

@jackal

I started putting together a down quilt and for some reason i sew baffles 8" apart. I don't know what i was thinking…I see most of the quilts have baffles spaced from 5-7".
    Is this going to be a problem? I only did one side so far so i can still change the design…

The baffle height is 2.5".
    Thanks!

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

That's pretty far apart for proper down control IMO. That probably comes out to 10-11 baffles total? You can overcome it by over-stuffing if you are too far along.

Ryan

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

There was a discussion recently here about that and most agreed that 7" was spaced too far, 5" being about ideal.
    So , yes I would think that 8" is too far.
    Franco

Branko Grujcic

@jackal

Bugger. Undoing the seams for the baffles is probably not a good idea, right? It would compromise the "down-proofness".

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

What fabric are you using?

Ryan

Branko Grujcic

@jackal

Momentum M90 (or M50, not 100%sure)

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Several Jacks R Better quilt owners have had problems with cold spots and down migration within the baffles, it seemed like JRB's preference in using wide baffles in their quilts partially contributed to the problem.

Wide is easier to fabricate and involves less sewing, but not ideal.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

If you rip it out it will tend to compromise the fabric

Maybe make 4 inch baffles?

Branko Grujcic

@jackal

I could do 4"! Anyone see any problems with that?
    Thank you all!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

The only negative is you'll have a tiny bit extra baffle material because you'll have an extra few baffles in your quilt, but that is insignificant

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Agree with Jerry, wouldn't rip the seams out especially if using M50. 4" spacing will work.

Ryan

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

One other thing, what I like about MYOG is you encounter problems, like you made 8 inch baffles, but then find a solution…

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

How much loft are you going for? More loft is ok in big baffles, less loft needs smaller baffle spacing. If going for over 3" loft you should be ok, yeah 8" is too big but adding extra down can mitigate that. Make it a winter quilt or if you go 4" reduce the baffle height and do summer. Probably have a hard time getting away with it as a 3 season.

-Tim

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

So should the baffle width be 2.5 X loft? or something like that

Branko Grujcic

@jackal

The loft has to be 2.5". Tim, if you think 4" is too narrow, i'll redo the upper layer and make it 5".
    Thanks you!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

you can do 2.5" in 4", 5.5-6 would be more like what i would plan but in your situation 4 is the way to go. It isn't ideal so my suggestion would allow for two ideal solutions, but it will work fine with 4"

-Tim

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

baffle spacing isn't the only factor in down control. baffle height also plays a big part. if you want better control reducing either height or width can increase the down control. 2.5" baffles for 2.5" loft isn't my recommendation for good control but then using a 4" width will make up for that so you can adjust those sizes around to find the balance between control and over fill.

-Tim

Branko Grujcic

@jackal

Great info, thank you Tim. Could you tell us what baffle hight do you think would then be ideal for 2.5" loft with 5.5-6" baffle width? I just assumed it would be 2.5"…
    This is great, much appreciated!

Ivo Vanmontfort
    BPL Member

@ivo

reduce the baffle height by the second baffle seam
    double the baffles
    then it looks at my quilt ,
    (with a 1 inch baffle height, I measured 45 mm (about 1,75 inch)
    (filled with 400 gr down/that is a lot overfill!)
    The baffle wide was 4 inch
    With a differential cut you will get less quickly problems, i think

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

My baffles are 1/2" shorter than desired loft before overstuff. So if the quilt is 2.5" loft I use 2" baffles, but after 10% overstuff the loft is 2.75" or 30% is 3.25" loft still with 2" baffles. This is for KARO baffles which need to be shorter than tubes to give as much control. For tubes .25-.5" shorter than final loft in baffles 5-6" wide should be about perfect. Of course it is all a little subjective.

-Tim

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I found that if I planned for 2.5" loft and cut my baffles to that size the seam allowances effectively reduce the height by a 1/2". After overstuff it's back at the intended 2.5"

Branko Grujcic

@jackal

At the end i ordered new shell material, Momentum 50 this time, which was cool, and redid the baffles to 5.5" distance and ~2.25" height. With 13oz. of down, draft stopper and gorget piece it comes down to 18.5oz.
    I'm very happy with it, it feels perfect to me, thank you all for your advice!

myog quilt

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Looks great Branko. Very nice.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

That looks very nice

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Love the draft stoppers…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools