Topic

Did you MYOG intruder alert system?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Did you MYOG intruder alert system?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I would be worried the little criters are after the salt (sweat) on your pole grips. Would hate to wake up the next morning with the grips chewed off.

….I can see it now….Roger Dodger woried about intruders and the state of his poles throughout the night….

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

It's likely due to the salty sweat deposits on the grips. They really like cork grips, almost like a salt lick to them. You could try put a stake through the wrist straps to keep them in place.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

could just stab them in the dirt and keep them upright.

i agree with them being after the grips and straps.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you really need an intruder alert system, here is what I use. At the arts and crafts store, I purchased a bag of jingle bells in assorted sizes. Using a heavy black nylon thread, I threaded several jingle bells at 2-foot intervals and tied each one.

Sometimes at night I string this up from my bear canister to my shelter so that I can hear the animals approaching. That's how I got my night photo of a wolverine.

It's fairly lightweight, but it isn't much good in the multiple use department.

–B.G.–

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Photo of a wolverine?! That's awesome. Just this past weekend my buddy and I got to wake up in the middle of the night to a ringtail cat rustling through our camp. I may have to consider the jingle bell method for future trips.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The wolverine was near Stanley, Idaho, last June. The photo is somewhere here on BPL.

A ringtail cat would be nice. That's on my target list.

You can buy the jingle bells in different sizes, but the assorted bag gave me the most flexibility. The tiny bells are lighter in weight, but the bigger bells are louder. As a result, I made my string of them with different sizes.

If I am lazy, I just pile the bells on top of my bear canister. Normally if I think critters are really around, I will tape one end to the top of the bear canister and the other end to something on my shelter. So, I may hear the bells, or I may feel some vibration. You can also put all of your metal stuff (mug, spoon, etc.) on top of the bear canister, and it will fall over when nudged by the critters. But, you have to have your camera all laid out and ready to fire.

–B.G.–

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Just tie your food bag to a tent pole. The movement will wake you. If the tent collapses know where you placed your toilet paper.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools