Topic

Dog friendly backpacking near San Francisco Bay Area?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Dog friendly backpacking near San Francisco Bay Area?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Well, the wife's pregnant, but I'd still like to have a hiking partner this spring/summer. Now that the dog's almost 2, I'd like to start taking her backpacking.

Are there any parks near the SF bay area that allow dogs? Only has to be 1 or 2 nights. I would like to get away for a weekend here or there.
    I checked Big Basin, Point Reyes, and Henry Coe. Am I missing any? Does a dog friendly park even exist?

We'll probably do plenty of car camping with the wife, but I don't want my backpacking gear to go unused all year.

She loves camping BTW:

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

AWWWW. WTF?! Sorry! Mods, please get rid of one of these.

My first post gave me a network error, so I double checked that it didn't post by opening a new window and visiting the forum. Wasn't there, so I re-wrote the thread and posted it. Now all of a sudden there are two of them! SORRY!

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I'm not too familar with the bay area, but generally dogs can hike in lots of National Forests, including Los Padres (Big Sur area).

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My wife and I occasionally dog sit for a friend and try to take the dog backpacking when we do. The only semi-local option I know about is Big Sur/Ventana Wilderness. If you are willing to drive a little further during the season, the 2nd closest option is probably Emigrant Wilderness. Dogs are not allowed off paved trails in state parks in California or in national parks.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

"Dogs are not allowed off paved trails in state parks in California or in national parks."

I've found California (which I visit a couple times per year because I have family there) to be an extremely dog-unfriendly state!

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Emmigrant and Desolation wilderness are both dog friendly and great places to hike. Little more of a drive though..

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

I'll have to check out Big Sur then. I've never been there.

Yeah, I figured I could always go to the Sierras. It's hard to justify going all that way though, and not car camp so I can bring the whole family.

I guess if I get any backpacking in this year, it'll probably be solo :(

David Carbiener
    BPL Member

@hikingdave

Locale: Northern California

I take my dog often to the Trinity Alps. I don't know if that's too far north for you, but I and the dog love this area.

My dog in the Trinity Alps

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Yeah, at that distance, I might as well just go to the Sierra.
    Thanks for the suggestion though, I'm gonna put it on my list of places to go. Looks nice.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools