Topic

need help with zipper nomenclature

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear need help with zipper nomenclature

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

i'd like to add 3/4 or 7/8 length waterproof zippers to the legs of my windpants. i'd like to have double sliders so that i can open the pants leg from the bottom or vent from the top. if ordering on line what do i tell them i need. i've tried reading up on zippers and it's a little confusing. any recommendations on who i should order from.

thanks –

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Two way seperating

http://www.owfinc.com/hardware.html is one source

call them and ask about it to make sure you're ordering what you want

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

thanks

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

You don't necessarily need separating, but definitely 2-way.

Separating if you want to be able to "unlatch" the zippers at the bottom (like on most jackets).

Non-separating if you're OK just zipping up both sliders in order to open the zipper from the bottom. You'll lose about an inch of separation this way (due to the two sliders holding the top of the zipper together).

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

Oh, and zpacks carries a #3 waterproof zipper (and sliders), which should be about as light as you can get: http://zpacks.com/materials.shtml

It's been on my "to order" list for a while, but I have no experience with it.

Edit: I see OWFinc has #3 waterproof zippers now too–nice!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

If you don't want seperating, which I don't think you need, then maybe just regular zipper pull?

I think you can go either direction on the zipper, so apply the zipper pull one direction, and apply the other zipper pull backwards.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

don't forget to order the little end point metal things that hold it all together.
    but, if you do .. you can sew (lots of stitches) the ends up, and they will stay set.

metal end points come single and double wide, depending on the way you're terminating the run.

those long zips gonn'a about out-weigh the pants though.. are they not ?
    just a thought.

cheers,
    v.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Zippers may weigh more than the pants.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools