Topic

Ursack closer to being allowed in Yosemite?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ursack closer to being allowed in Yosemite?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 200 total)
  • Author
    Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

I'm a big believer in using the OP bags along with the Ursack. Granted, I don't hike in grizzly habitat, but there are a lot of black bears, skunks and raccoons here in MN and I've never had any of the above find my food when in an Opsak inside my Ursack – that's a lot of sacks . . .

I know many will be critical of this, but when hiking with my German Shepherd, I don't have enough room in the Ursack for his food and just leave it on the ground, away from the tent, in a large Opsak, nothing has ever nibbled at the bag and I've stayed in plenty of established sites. I think the Opsak does exactly what they claim, very few animals are visual, most all rely on smell and if they never smell it . . .

I love the convenience of just tying the Ursack to a nearby tree.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

+1 on Opsak inside the Ursack. That should be standard practice and is how Ursack recommends using their product.

Ben the reason the Ursack is better than a 2oz bag is the the Kevlar in the Ursack prevents small critters from accessing the contents. Above treeline your unlikely to find bears. Above treeline is mostly Marmot/Pika territory where the great risk is chewing through your 2oz bag which would take no time.

You don't need to hang the Ursack, simply tie to a tree trunk off the ground. If I was above treeline and doing a day hike with a return to camp and had little to no options for securing the Ursack I would probably just bring the Ursack with me during the hike. But honestly, that is such a rare scenario for most, camp above treeline with a day hike returning to above treeline camp.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

My dog has his own Ursack for when we're out longer than a week (up to a week, his food fits in my Ursack or canister at night). The dog food is also inside smaller OP sacks at all times when in his pack. If I can smell my dog's kibble through a freezer bag, certainly a bear can and that means my dog's pack would also smell of dog food without the OP sack protection. I've always used an OP sack in addition to the freezer bags holding his individual servings. At least the dog can't detect the smell through the OP sack!

I strongly suspect that a bear would go to unprotected dog food before going to people food, simply because the dog food odor is stronger!

I wouldn't hold my breath about the Ursack's being approved by the IGBC any time soon. The Ursack website admits that the IGBC currently is not testing "fabric" bags.

Re the Wind Rivers question: They require either hanging or an IGBC approved bear canister. Please note that the Bearikade is not IGBC approved. Per Wild Ideas, that's because they never bothered to submit it for approval–they claim the now-defunct Sierra Bear Group used the same tests. In other words, whether I use my Ursack or my Bearikade Weekender, I'm illegal in the Winds (I can't hang food because I can't throw due to shoulder issues). I figure if I'm going to be illegal, I will be illegal with the lighter option!

Here's the Food Storage Order for the Bridger-Teton NF (also effective in Shoshone NF):
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/btnf/recreation/?cid=fsbdev3_063588
    Those familiar with Sierra bears will be ROTFL at the hanging method suggested!

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

"I'm illegal in the Winds (I can't hang food because I can't throw due to shoulder issue"

Mary D, I had a ripped rotator cuff on my last big trip, and I used a rock sack, that's a tiny stuff sack you attach to the bear bag hanging line, you whirl it around a few times then let it fly, it works. z packs was selling those, not sure if he still does, easy to make too, any nylon, it's just a 2×3" stuff sack basically.

I had no problem getting it over high up branches, took a few attempts, but I never had to use any extension at all on my shoulder, which was a good thing, since I didn't have any.

The idea is simple, you spin the bag with rock in with a few feet of cord, then once it reaches the right angle/speed, you let it fly, sort of like a sling shot in some ways, it really works. Still in my opinion the greatest backpacking innovation I've ever seen.

Ursack needs to fix their website, it's too hard to find all the knot diagrams, they have them scattered around, and users of the bags not knowing how to do the knots was I believe one of the issues, that is, you can miss-tie the knots, but you cannot really mis screw on a bearvault lid.

To me this is pretty valid, ursack needs to improve and simplify their website and bag documentation for knot tying, I have the green one, and it doesn't show how to do the figure 8 knot you use to attach it. I have no idea why they still have not rectified such a trivial thing to fix, one more knot diagram, and all knot instructions on one page always accessible from one click on their main menu, not cut in half as it is now, where you have to know the other one is there to find it. I should have emailed them about that issue, it's kind of hard to take them seriously about usability when they can't fix that simple thing on their website and bag.

I also hope they get approved, but I don't think it will happen as long as they depend on such a non robust knotting system that can fail if users dont' do it right. I guess the white bag makes t easier now from what I read, less stiff so it's easier to close, but that's the third try now, easy to see why parks who don't want problems chose not to allow it. At least easy for me to see. And they actually admit that without seam grip the bear could get into the bag, so you really can't consider skepticism about this product as unwarranted. How do you test for user ability to tie a knot? And to always tie it right and tight enough? And to have applied the now included seam grip? Compared to all cannisters, which work and are sealed as soon as you close them, I have no trouble seeing why they aren't allowed. Too bad you can't get a license that proves you know how to use it, since it appears that when used correctly it's quite effective. ie, ranger stops you, sees ursack, asks for your permit/license showing proficiency, then says, ok, thanks have a nice trip.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Jason noted: "I hate the bulkyness of bear cans and that would remain with the liner."

The liner is just a sheet of aluminum and I guess it could be flattened and maybe placed against the back pad of your pack, or wrapped around some other round object like your sleeping bag or pad while hiking; re-rolled (if flattened) and placed back in the sack in camp for safe storage. Anyway it is not fixed in the sack and thus there should be all sorts of potential packing alternatives that would make the ursack much more easily pack-able than a rigid canister.

Anybody want to guess what a similar sized sheet of titanium or maybe carbon would weigh? / Cost?

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Tried the rock sack; the motion still jerks my shoulder joints which causes a lot of pain. Mostly arthritis in my case. I can extend just fine; it's anything that causes a sudden jerk or pull, even a mild one, that kills me. It's a little better than throwing, but not much. I never was any good at either throwing or roping; couldn't hit the side of a barn when inside it!

I wouldn't want to use an Ursack where there are acclimated bears who are trained that anything in a bag is a pinata. They're going to keep after a bag until they get in. Most places outside national parks, though, bears are shy of people (they are hunted, after all) and the Ursack works just fine. No need to hang (just tie to tree) and keeps out other varmints (mice, marmots, camp robbers, crows). If I'm where there are acclimated bears, I use my Bearikade Weekender (also illegal in the Wind Rivers because it hasn't been submitted for IGBC testing).

Both my Ursacks have tags inside which clearly show how to tie the Figure 8 knot. It's not that hard to tie; I learned when I was 9 years old!

I still remember the time (many years ago) that I was out with a group. We spotted a bear just past the trailhead and another one a couple miles before we hit the campsite. The trip leader insisted it was the same bear (although he never saw the first one) and that it was following us. He insisted we immediately hang our food. So all 8 of us handed over our food bags, and a couple of stout fellows tied them to a rope, got it over a branch and started hauling. Halfway up, the rope broke and the bags came down. It's just lucky the fellows dodged really fast and weren't hurt! After that, most of us abstracted our own food bags and did our own thing. Of course no bears ever showed up!

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

The problem Ursack had in the Yosemite was people are told to leave it on the ground rather then tying it to a tree trunk where the bear has a more awkward pearch to get to it. The rangers once even told me to not even tie it to a log on the ground. Whats with that since the bear can just walk off with it. And the fact that users treat it like a hardsided bear can and let a bear work on it for hours. For me, it is a barrier (far better then hanging that I've seen bears get too easily even when properly done) that delays the bears for quite awhile until you can chase it off.
    The alumunium liner helped in that regards but I still wouldn't want to leave a bear alone all night like someone people have.

Ben F

@tekhna

I think the problem with putting the bear in an awkward perch is they might injure themselves.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I think the problem with putting the bear in an awkward perch is they might injure themselves."

And sue the Park Service? LOL

Ben F

@tekhna

It is America, after all!

No but seriously, I do seem to remember reading something on ursack's site about potential bear injury!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My understanding is that the aluminum liner is mostly to protect the contents of the bag, rather than as a preventative measure. Even if a persistent bear doesn't get inside, it can still crush food (probably not such a big deal with most backpacking foods) and pop ziploc storage bags (maybe a bigger problem if measured food gets mixed up).

Not to say that that is any different than a bear swatting but somehow not getting into a hanging food bag.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I only had to use the insert in my older Ursack a few times, not easy to install or remove as it wants to uncoil. If I remember correctly too, the authorities did not want any resource damage, so you had to just leave it laying on the ground. My thoughts too about the liner and some canisters, is it gives you time to scare off the bear. I have never had any issues with bears, either when my dog was alive or since he passed away.

I did not know the Bearicade wasn't approved for the Winds, I used mine a few years ago there, luckily then that I was not stopped.
    Duane

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"I guess it could be flattened and maybe placed against the back pad of your pack, or wrapped around some other round object like your sleeping bag or pad while hiking; re-rolled (if flattened) and placed back in the sack in camp for safe storage. Anyway it is not fixed in the sack and thus there should be all sorts of potential packing alternatives that would make the ursack much more easily pack-able than a rigid canister."

Not really, that piece of aluminum is stiff and pretty big. Best packed in the sack.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

If this happens, I would buy one the day I find out about it.
    They stand to make a TON of money if this goes through, and I have a feeling, the other companies stand to lose a lot of business. I hope they are developing there own bag systems in the event this does go through.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I doubt the other bearcan companies are shaking in fear. Yosemite and Ursack have had an on and off relationship over the yeras. They allow it in for awhile, then ban it and then allow it in for awhile, repeating as necessary. The only reason that I still own a Garcia Can that I bought in the late 90's rather then a newer BearVault or a Bearikade is because I know I'll be able to use my Ursack again evenutally so its a waste of money to buy a better hardsided can then the hated Garcia. I'd only rush out an buy a Ursack if you are planning a long trip after Ursack is allowed in. For a 2-3 day trip once a year, its probably not worth it over renting the heavier cans.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

The ursack is a joke. I don't care how many "tests" they want to run. The method for securing the top is a knotted string. Yea, I don't know any bears strong enough to cut a string, do you?

From Ursack themselves: The problem, which had never occurred in our bear tests at the zoo, was that thearamid fiber fabric would fray and unravel under stress."

See? Their tests are not valid whatsoever as far as I'm concerned. Don't allow this BS product to help kill bears.

Ben F

@tekhna

You're being totally disingenuous, if not mendacious.

Here's the WHOLE statement.

After shipping the first few hundred URSACKs, we received reports of seam
    failure and unraveling. We immediately sent out a recall notice. The
    problem, which had never occurred in our bear tests at the zoo, was that the
    aramid fiber fabric would fray and unravel under stress. We then began to
    double stitch all seams with aramid fiber thread, and to use seam tape on
    the bottom and side seams of URSACK. This has alleviated much of the
    problem. We think our next generation bags, which will start shipping in
    mid to late September, will do even better.

Also, this statement, as best as I can tell, if from 2000. 12 years ago. Are they still selling they same product they sold 12 years ago?
    No.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

I really hope the Ursack gets approved in California everywhere, black bears are more of a pest than a threat, they are kind of like a big marmot, the Ursack has worked great for me. I think an Ursack is like a wind shirt, and a Garcia/BV is like a Gore-tex shell, you need both options. If you are heading into a storm, leave the wind shirt behind. If you are going to Denali, leave the Ursack behind.

bear

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

"The method for securing the top is a knotted string. Yea, I don't know any bears strong enough to cut a string, do you?"

That knotted "string" is 2500 pound tensile strength. Matter of fact, I don't know any bears that can cut a small knot in a 2500 pound tensile strength "string".

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

So I guess the BV's are better? How many lids and times have they recalled their lids? Hmmm? 3, 4?
    Duane

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I own both an Ursack and a Bearikade Scout.
    even if the Ursack becomes fully approved, the only time I would use it is for fastpacking speed trips.
    the Bearikade, in my opinion, is a much superior product and worth the slight extra weight on a "normal" trip.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I also own a Bearikade and an older (Vectran version) Ursack. If there are bears in the area, I use the Bearikade. Just gnawing critters, the Ursack. I don't like my food smashed. Not at all. I spend a lot of time packaging food, and like my soy milk powder separate from my orza pasta. Having it all mixed/smashed up and slobbered on just doesn't work for me.

My Vectran Ursack is 10.9oz, thinking of getting an newer (available at the end of this month per email communication) Ursack Minor for critters, about 3oz.

Steve

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

"Also, this statement, as best as I can tell, if from 2000. 12 years ago. Are they still selling they same product they sold 12 years ago?"

When it comes to something as important as food storage (you're three days from a trailhead and a bear eats your food, have fun walking back on an empty stomach, and if you get lost, forget it, you're a goner), I don't mess around. If you can't make a product that works from the get go, I don't wanna hear it.

"So I guess the BV's are better? How many lids and times have they recalled their lids? Hmmm? 3, 4?
    Duane"

Yea, same as above. I wouldn't trust the bear vault. I made that mistake my first time out in the Dacks when I rented a BV from the EMS in Lake Placid. This was August of 07, and I believe I was one of the first in the nation to learn of the faulty lid (the hard way).

I trust Garcia and Berikade because as far as I know, there has never been an issue with either one in the field or in the lab.

EDIT FOR BEN F: If you can't make a (FOOD STORAGE) product that works from the get go, I don't wanna hear it.

Ben F

@tekhna

Hope you don't fly, Gregory.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

Was I speaking about the difficulties of overcoming the laws of gravity or was I speaking about a simple object with almost no moving parts? Oh, the internet. Whats next, you gonna compare me to Hitler?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 200 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools