Topic

Andrew Skurka’s The Ultimate Hiker’s Gear Guide: Book Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Andrew Skurka’s The Ultimate Hiker’s Gear Guide: Book Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

I finally got around to purchasing the book, and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I would recommend it for anyone starting out in any sort of self-propelled outdoor pursuit (not only hiking), as the smart lightweight philosophy transfers over to those activities fairly well.

I don't know if Andrew is still following this thread, but I was curious as to what mummy bag he pairs with his MLD Spirit quilt. He mentions the technique in "Skurka's Picks" (p 86), but doesn't mention which specific brand/model of mummy bag he uses in this approach.

Of course, YMMV, "it's not a gear guide…" etc. But still, I would like to know.

I hope that Andrew does decide to publish a book on his Alaska-Yukon Expedition. That would make for a good read…

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

This round table has convinced me to buy the book. Thanks.

I also appreciate that I am not the only person to think WPB materials are over-hyped and don't do a good job of keeping you dry. I frankly get frustrated that nearly everything being sold now is some version of WPB membrane. I would love to get a light shell that is 100% impermeable but has features like pit zips, zipper pockets, removable (or stow-in-collar) hood, and a durable material that can take a bit of bushwhacking. I have an old WPB shell that I'm tempted to figure out how to fully waterproof because it meets everything I want except that it's not waterproof.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

"I have an old WPB shell that I'm tempted to figure out how to fully waterproof because it meets everything I want except that it's not waterproof."

I have an old wind jacket that is nylon. I sealed it into a rain jacket using diluted calk. Sort'of like a glorified tent. It works….

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

James-

Can you elaborate? How did you seal the jacket with diluted caulk? What did you dilute with and what method did you use to apply it to the jacket? Thanks-

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Standard stuff, mostly. Mineral spirits and high quality silcone caulk (or calk…same word, different spelling.) About 10:1 mineral spirits:calk. Stretch it out and do both sides working it in well. Not a real heavy coat after it it worked in, it adds about .4oz per yard…more is probably overkill and cause peeling.

I did a plain old wind breaker. Inside, then propped it open with some sticks and outside. This was untreated fabric, though. If you start with silnylon or the like, then a light coat, say about 20:1, should work. Frankly, DWR never worked all that well in storms for me. I get about 6 hours of fairly dry time, then it starts wetting out. A fully waterproof jacket does as well, but it wets out from the inside, due to sweat in about 6 hours. Soo, generally, I don't use any. Just quick drying clothing in summer. Later in fall, I use it, though. Hiking cold means I don't perspire much. Better to be cool all day than wet at camp and at night. Often, a light T shirt and rain jacket is all I use for temps down to about 35-40F. 50F it gets too warm, so I just use a nylon or poly long sleeved shirt. They will dry in about 15-20 minutes after a rain. Again, this means hiking a bit cool, allowing my exertion to regulate my heat. Faster/harder if I feel cold. But, this is mostly solo hiking for me the past few years. Shivering cold is OK as long as you recognize the danger of loosing energy and going into hypothermia. At that point I add something else to get wet. Wet clothing is far better than no clothing. Keep your cloths ON, even if they are soaked, untill you can get them off and change in a dry area.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Chris –

I have, but don't recommend, pairing a quilt with a mummy. If you need a winter-worthy sleep system but don't have the cash to buy one, that's the time to do it. But having just one bag is better than having two — simpler and warmer for its weight.

The 0-deg mummy bag I intentionally left unmentioned. It was a GoLite mummy bag. Unless they have changed the dimensions, you have to be very lean to fit inside of it while wearing additional clothing. Part of the reason I took it down to -25F without zipping it up was because I might have suffocated.

Glad you liked the book. I agree that it's not a "gear guide" and I argued hard with NG on this point, but they had final say over the title.

Andrew

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools