Topic

denatured alcohol storage and JMT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion denatured alcohol storage and JMT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Locale: California

Is there any problem with carring denatured alcohol in a colapsible platypus plastic container? I would mark it everywhere on the container of it's content. On the JMT, if you have to buy a whole quart of denatured alcohol ; Do you find someone to split it with ? Do they have smaller amounts for sale? Thanks!!

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I would carry it in a plain water bottle. If you are shipping in a resupply then include one for that as well. I used 1oz. per meal as a quick rule of thumb. If you want to by smaller quantities, buy Yellow HEET in the auto parts section of a retailer near you.

Brian Raap

@braap

Locale: Bay Area

I am pretty sure VVR and MTR sell alcohol by the ounce. But I am sure someone will come on here with a definitive answer.

Todd G
    Spectator

@todd-g

I use one of those small Listerine bottles. Flat, 'kinda shaped like a flask. No worry of confusion. Also, I use Everclear instead of denatured. More expensive, but if it spills or gets on clothes, no worries.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

MTR has had alcohol the last few years I have been there. They are reasonable in their rates as well. I'm not sure if I would ship it with my re-supply bucket as both the MTR and the USPS say not to do that. I don't know if the USPS has a way of detecting flammibles or not, but I don't want to risk the rest of my re-supply on it.

It has been many years since I have been to VVR, so I can't really say if they keep it in stock or not. The last time I was there I wasn't using an alcohol stove and didn't look. I know they didn't have a great selection of blister care products that year, but that may have changed as well.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

It is legal to send alcohol via USPS parcel post. I declared it and sent it all over the PCT.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Considering you can send rum or everclear, I would be surprised if denatured alcohol was illegal. But then again: bureaucracy.

Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Thanks so much for the info! If there is anyone who has done the JMT last year and used the calsera cone; how did you do your alcohol resupply?

Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

I mean, I just wanted to know how it went for them, getting fuel, carring fuel, boiling times ect. Thanks so much !!

Cody Croslow

@graelb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I ALMOST made the comment about everclear. Here in oregon you can get grain alcohol, 95% alcohol, for about 10 bucks. They have them behind the counter. AND in a "pinch" you could water it down with apple cider mix or hot chocolate to drink on top of using it in your stove…

my $0.02

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"everclear. Here in oregon you can get grain alcohol, 95% alcohol, for about 10 bucks."

What size bottle?

–B.G.–

Cody Croslow

@graelb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hey Bob,

750mL is the bottle size. I actually bought it to make home-made Kahlua.

And I say here in Oregon, but I imagine the price isn't the same across the state…

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

hey justin, a simple 8-12 oz water bottle will be fine for fuel. your platty is good too. Reds meadow does NOT sell denatured. there might be some in the hiker box tho but dont count on it. I didn't go into VVR personally but ive heard from many they sell denatured by the oz. MTR definitly sells it by the oz. Check hiker boxes first though. I found a bottle of HEET in one so i didn't have to purchase any.
    With a caldera plan on using between .6-1.0 oz of denatured per 16oz aqua boiled.

We resupplied at Reds with a package with denatured in it. and then again at MTR. I was going to buy some there but like i said i found a bottle of heet. If you don't already have a caldera i would say get get the tiTRI and use wood fire under 9-10k ft and then use esbit when you can't have fire. Its a little more work to get a fire going but then again you will prob make a fire anyway? might as well cook on it. esbit are a bit lighter and you dont have to worry bout a alc stove and fuel bottle. Im not sure if you can buy esbit at the resupplys but they are light enough to put in your boxes.

Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

THANKS Jason !! Great info. I got my Caldera Cone Tri a few days ago. I haven't tried the esbit yet, but thats a great Idea to use all the differnt fuels on the trail.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools