Topic

K Cups

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) K Cups

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

Anybody figured out a way to brew a K Cup on the trail?

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Starbucks VIA. Try it if you haven't yet

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Trader Joe's via knock-off with cream and sugar in it is much better tasting and lighter, too. Their black-coffee version is also good, but I'm gonna dose it up anyway, so…

Ben F

@tekhna

I saw their cream and sugar version, but there's a black coffee version?

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Locale: AT, follow@ www.thruperspective.com

All the actual brewers do is drip hot water over the cup and poke a hole in the bottom to drain it. Why not find a way to suspend it over a mug and just pour your hot water over it slowly. If you really want to use those.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Good luck with the K Cup idea, not going to happen. The K-Cups rely on back pressure and infusion within the cup to properly brew, you're not going to be able to come up with a simple solution on the trail that results in a decent cup of coffee. Plus the K-Cups just introduce more trash and cost more than is necessary.

Pack a small screen or sieve to pour your coffee through into your mug after it has brewed in your pot, easy. Or go low key and just do a simple cowboy coffee, stir the top of your mug with a stick to settle the grounds to the bottom, sip slowly.

The easiest ways to make coffee are usually the lightest and make a strong cup.

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

I think VIA, or the Trader Joe's knock-off, are the way to go: compact, little waste, and great tasting. But if you really want brewed coffee with little mess, try Dr. Drip's self-contained drip system: . It tastes better than VIA, but is relatively heavy (0.5 oz. ea.), bulky, and expensive ($9 for 5).

Dr Drip

Dr Drip

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Locale: AT, follow@ www.thruperspective.com

That Dr. Drip thing looks easy enough to make your own out of a milk jug or something and it would be reusable.

Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Locale: SouthEast

I'm looking for a lightweight coffee setup too. Never heard of the K Cups before, but looks like an interesting method. Anyone had any experience in the field with either the GSI Ultralight Java Drip or the MSR Mugmate or anything similar? They both seem like good contenders for what I'd like them to do.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

{quote}I saw their cream and sugar version, but there's a black coffee version?{/quote}

Yes. It's in a dark blue box, I think.

Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!

Cowboy Coffee my friend! Coarse ground coffee goes into boiling water, let the grounds settle, pour into cup, you're all set.

Or get a small ti percolate. It can be used as a cook pot too.

My favorite is to bring a french press lid that fits you're cookpot. French presses are arguably the best way to enjoy coffee and a great way to start you're day.

(I work at Starbucks and have become a bit.of a coffee snob ;) )

chuck w
    BPL Member

@kcwins

Locale: WY

Not to mention k cups cost a fortune. I like the jet boil french press the best with the msr drip a close second.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I've been using the Montbell OD Dripper. Good cup of Joe.

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1124510

Have also used filters made from noseeum with great success. Works as a prefilter also.

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

I bought the GSI Personal Java Press a couple years ago, it makes an AWESOME cup of coffee, but it is fairly heavy. I think w/o the included mug it was still over 7.5oz, the Snow Peak French press is like 6.5 oz, still pretty heavy, but IMHO there is no better coffee. I've since switched to Via.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

@ Ken,

How does that Snow Peak OD Dripper work?

I think the word "dripper" is throwing me off. Is it basically a mesh infuser? Similar to the MSR Mugmate?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Think of it as a coneless drip coffee filter. Using a couple of sticks/stakes to suspend filter above cup and pour. You can use is dip fashion as well if no separate coffee mug. I do take a mug.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Got it Ken, thanks. I looked at the Montbell website and they have the dripper inside a fancy mesh storage bag, threw me off.

Course grounds for this setup?

I like the idea of a reusable, non litter producing, coffee solution.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

You do get a tiny, tiny amount of coffee dust no matter the grind. I do a somewhat fine grind. Or buy the little foil packages of preground coffee from Safeway. Plenty of coffee for a long weekend in one of those. I like the toss the grounds, rinse and go aspect of this method. Though Cowboy coffee trumps all in simplicity. I always seem to get too much floating particulate matter for an enjoyable cup. Filter is light and dual use. Price is high. It works though.

Via is not an option. Too expensive, and I can have the real thing.

Buying Via, watch out. Been on a trip where everyone but me brought Via. All bought de cafe by mistake. Too bad for them. It was sad.

K cups on the trail? Just no.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I fill cloth tea bags with my own home-ground coffee. Works great and the little bags get washed and recycled. Got 'em at "The Grove" mall in LA at a kitchen goods store. (No, not Williams 'Spensive Sonoma)

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting something else?

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I'm sure everyone knows that the jet boil french press works with the snowpeak 700 pot and that the regular jet boil lid works on the SP 700 as well, it snaps on very nice

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Chris I think everyone was waiting for Douglas Ide to open that one… or should I say unhook that one. But as we all know K cups are not ultralite and require custom pack shoulder straps so maybe open up a thread in chaff

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

If you have not give Turkish Cowboy Coffee a try here's how:

(Excerpted from Ultralight Backpackin' Tips: 153 Amazing & Inexpensive Tips for Extremely Lightweight Camping by Mike Clelland!)

Turkish Cowboy Coffee#1

Turkish Cowboy Coffee#2

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

If you are Backpacking I don't know how you have any other approach than Starbucks VIA. It has great flavor and ultralight. The only downside is the cost. Nescafe anyone? :)

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

At home I use my DeLonghi Magnifica to make espresso shots, but on the trail I am more than satisfied with Folgers Singles. Why over-complicate things? Most on here aren't still doing involved, complicated cooking.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools