Topic

Taiga Down Works– down load/reviews?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Taiga Down Works– down load/reviews?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bernard Rachtmann

@bernardr

Hi, I contacted a Canadian manufacturing company, Taiga Works about some of their down gear.

Specifically I asked them about their Mount Blanc Jacket:
    https://www.taigaworks.ca/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=119

They claim that their jacket has 16.5 oz of 825 down in a goretex shell, all weighing about 30 oz and costing less than $300

Also, their Ellesmere parka claims a weight of 38 oz, with over 20 oz of 700 fill in a goretex shell. Wouldn't that make this parka comparable to the FF rock+ice?

https://www.taigaworks.ca/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=626

If correct, these seem almost difficult to believe.

Anybody with experience with their gear? If it is indeed as good as it sounds I'd like to order it, but with shipping costs and a real dearth of reviews I'm reluctant.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I've been buying gear from Taiga Works for over 20 years and have always been completely satisfied with their products and their customer service.

This manufacturer is not really aimed at the light-weight gear market. There gear is generally pretty tough and as you'd expect you pay the price in weight. If you want high quality gear that will last a long time, then this is a great place to shop.

A few stories regarding their customer service over the years…

After wearing one of their jackets for over six years, the gortex failed. I sent it back to see if they could repair the leak around the (attached) hood and they gave me a full in-store credit for the original price of the jacket.

I ripped another gortex jacket in the back (2 inch tear) and sent it in to Taiga to see if they could patch it. They actually cut the entire section of the jacket out down to the bottom hem and put in a new panel complete with seam sealed gortex… and only charged me $20!

They have also located and sealed pin holes in my Gortex pants for free.

I will definitely continue to order gear from them. Nice for me that they are (sort of) local.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

ive tried on those jackets in the store … i cant vouch for the amount of down, but i can say they have quite a bit of loft …

the best deal is of course the MEC reflex, but you may no longer be able to get that (you can call their service centre to see if they have any in the system for $175 clearance) …

the taiga fleece pants ive own have shredded after 3 years of hard use climbing … ive no real complaints … i still use em until its no longer socially acceptable or my belayer complains of the growing hole in the posterior ;)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools