Topic

Dad & Daughter, first time winter camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Dad & Daughter, first time winter camping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

My 4 yr old daughter has been saying that she wants to go winter camping(even though she has no idea what it's like ;-). Who am I to refuse? This weekend finally had some normal weather so a date was made.
    I worked all day and when I got home at dinner my wife told me our daughter had been talking about going camping all day, non-stop.

We packed up a minimal overnight kit, since we'd just had dinner and would be home for breakfast in the morning. We hoisted our packs and headed out into the woods behind our house (we live at the edge of town) and up the ridge.
    Out the door, and into the night

We found a nice spot with a great view of the bay and the city lights below us.
    Camped out

I didn't bring my Hex pyramid since there is only a few inches of loose snow on top of frozen ground, staking or deadmen would be hard.

Instead we took a tarp, because there was snow in the forecast for the night. I could only anchor it to trees and bushes, the ground was rock hard.

We had some hot cocoa and popcorn and hit the sack.

In the morning we woke to the wind howling in the treetops and spindrift blowing under the tarp (with no useable stakes, I couldn't stake the tarp any tighter to the ground.
    Wake up

We had tea and a snack and packed up to head home. My daughter said she was excited to go again!
    hike home

I think we are ready to try a real overnight ski trip, with dinner and breakfast in camp, now.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the great work!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

This is so cool. Thanks for posting. I'm always so in awe of you folks who take your kids out on such adventures. Y'all bring a big grin across my head.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Your daughter looks like she is having such a good time.
    Thanks for posting this.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Thanks for the encouraging comments guys!

Yeah, she was having a great time non stop. I thought she might object in the morning when we woke up with snow on the sleeping bags,or when she had to sit on an icy log to pee, but she just took it all in her stride and said she was having fun.

It was great to try this out in mild conditions and close to home (10 min walk for her).

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Great report and photos. Sounds like the perfect way to introduce a kid to the woods.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Tjaard, what a super activity. Its good you have the woods so close; a ten minute walk and your daughter thinks she is totally away.

danny chough

@puffdc

Locale: Republic of Boulder

Awesome. I loved the fact that she was talking about going camping all day long! Thanks for sharing!

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Locale: Minnesota

Very cool! Great to see you guys made it out!!

tommy d

@vinovampire

I'm just running through some of the BPL trip reports on a cold, wet, Sunday evening, and this one really stood out. It looks like your daughter really had a wonderful time, based on all those smiles! Well done!

Simone Zmood
    BPL Member

@sim1oz

Locale: Melbourne, Australia

Fabulous photos! What a lovely, spontaneous overnight adventure. I am totally, totally jealous. No snow where I live and an hour's drive to anywhere decent to camp. My 8yo has been nagging for an overnight hike. I'd better get onto it before she grows up and moves out of home.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools