Topic

how to sew this

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear how to sew this

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Budge

@budgthom

Locale: Idaho

I want to build mesh pockets with a drawcord closure at the top, like on the pack shown in the picture below. Can someone explain how to sew the channel to the mesh?

Thanks

pockets

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I'm not pro, but when I sew to mesh, I treat it like any other fabric. So for the top drawcord, I would use a 2" wide strip of fabric and fold it lengthwise 1/2" on each side (giving me now a 1" wide strip). I would them place the mesh between the two sides and sew down at about 1/4" from the edge. I've done this before in the past and it worked just fine.

Thomas Budge

@budgthom

Locale: Idaho

Thanks, Chris. I was concerned the mesh may require a folded seam. Glad it doesn't.

Errin Vasquez
    Spectator

@area45

I like the idea posted above. Sounds like a clean casing. Another option is to just fold down 1/4" and sew a hem. Then fold down again, whatever size you want your casing to be and sew the casing closed. I've used this on a few projects. Worked fine for both mesh and silnylon. Admittedly it can be a little trickier with mesh, but works just as well. Go slow and take your time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools