Topic

Rubber Band Trekking Pole Idea

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Rubber Band Trekking Pole Idea

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Hal Potts

@halpotts

Locale: Middle Tennessee

I use very lightweight GG poles and don't like to use straps but I didn't like the idea that without straps if I lost my grip I might drop the pole and step on it. So I went to the local office supply store and bought a pack of the large rubber bands that go around a bundle of files. One rubber band looped through the keeper-strap loop on the handle of each pole and problem solved. Now even if I drop the poles they are still in my hand and not on the ground. The rubber bands are preferable to a strap or piece of string since they will stretch when necessary. Best of all they only cost a couple of bucks. A practical and inexpensive solution.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

What's the weight of your rubber bands ?

Conner D

@cdipaolo

Locale: SoCal

Are these similar to the ones produce (like asparagus, especially) is wrapped in. Those seem like they would be up to the job.

Lisa Frugoli
    BPL Member

@alfresco

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Especially a good idea while crossing a rushing creek/river. I've almost lost mine since they move so fast in the water. Thanks for the idea!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

How about shock cord?

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

If I'm expecting to encounter spots where irretrievable loss of a pole is possible, I tie a leash of tripteaze line to the keeper loops on my LT4. The end that goes around my wrist has a loop tied with a slip knot which I can tighten or loosen as desired.

The leash is long enough to allow me to open my hand and the top of the grip will just clear the palm of my hand. If the tip of one pole somehow gets jammed into something immoveable (like the gaps in bridge decking), I can safely let go while trying to stop my forward m,otion, rather than trying to jerk it free as I go. This has saved several pole sections from serious damage over the years – especially the carbon fiber poles, which won't bend like metal ones.

Hal Potts

@halpotts

Franco, according to my scales they weigh 2 grams each. Any rubber band would work if it was the right size. The large ones at the office supply store are about the size of a large grapefruit or softball when opened up and unstretched. This size fits loosely around the wrist and does not pull at all when walking with the poles. Shock cord or elastic would also work of course. The beauty of the rubber bands is the simplicity and the fact that for $2 you can instantly have 12 sets of highly functional trekking pole keeper straps!Large Rubber Bands

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Hi Hal
    I was just asking so that whatever the weight someone would come up with something lighter.
    Maybe stretch Cuben at $30 a piece but half of the weight…

The Fujifilm disposable waterproof cameras come with a rubber band like that. Maybe your local Mini Lab can save some for you…
    Franco

Hal Potts

@halpotts

I know Franco, or maybe I could hold out for the new carbon nanotube keeper straps filled with a helium infused aerogel substrate that would save me .0037 grams for only $639 a pair and due out in Fall 2014! There's no end to it.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

"If I'm expecting to encounter spots where irretrievable loss of a pole is possible, I tie a leash of tripteaze line to the keeper loops on my LT4. The end that goes around my wrist has a loop tied with a slip knot which I can tighten or loosen as desired."

I have leash that I use for stream crossings also. And they weight .01g less than the rubber bands. Come On guys, Lighten Up! :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools