Topic

Feedback Needed from the GGG attendees

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Feedback Needed from the GGG attendees

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

It has been a week since we were all out having what I hope was a great weekend for all who attended. I would like some answers before memory fades.

I am looking for suggestions on dates to hold it. Traditionally it has been a mid winters excuse to get out. Could be held anytime of year though.

Most likely we will go to Coe again. I am certainly open to other option too. Lisa F. suggested somewhere in Sonoma County.

Manufacturers being present seemed real popular, so who to invite next year?

Need a better way to do the campground Gearswap. Suggestions?

I already have a couple of volunteers to help out next time. That will be a big help. Could use a few more.

Anything else that should be brought to my attention? Don't be shy or hold back with suggestions or criticism.

It your event as much as mine. What would you like to see it become.

GGG as a name. That's what it's called.

Looking forward to year number 5.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

One thing I would like to see is less glass bottles. They make for heavy trash. And you can't make a stove out of one.

Also a couple of people need to back off their alcohol intake. Drunks just put people off. This is now a family event. So the dynamic has changed somewhat since prior years. Enjoy yourself, just show some good judgment.

I plan on putting up a courtesy tent next time as a start point for guests and a place to keep items for public consumption in there.

More than one bathroom is needed now also.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

This was my first year attending the event and like many others I decided to make it a two nighter. Perhaps I went to bed a little earlier than some, but I found the alcohol consumption to be moderate on Saturday night. I think that having the event be two nights with Friday being rowdier than the other could satisfy most of the participants.

I already said in the post-trip/photo report that some more structure to the demonstrations would be a great addition. Tony supplied name tags which were quite helpful for those of us with poor memory skills.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks Eric.

Keep it coming…

kevin smith

@divr6347

first i need to say i had a great time and the event was a huge success in my opinion great gear great people and great food made for an awesome weekend the bay area bpl ers are a fantastic group

as to suggestions i only have two

give ken helwig a designated bed time lol (kidding ken)

i think it would be nice to get the whole group together for an informal introduction session

this way everyone could just say thier names and where they are from and maybe how long the have been on bpl or into ul backpacking seeing the group get bigger every year you can t possibly meet everyone at the gathering so it would be cool to
    at least have a chance to know who all was at the event especially with all the new faces that were there this year

i really enjoyed chatting with everyone i did get to meet and checking out the new gear was awesome hopefully next years event will be even bigger and and better not that its not awesome in its current state lol

kevin

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I need your help to make this the event you want to attend.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Perhaps if you move this to Chaff you'll get the "constructive criticism" you're looking for. :)

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

What happened to the scotch ? Was there a tasting event ?

I think we need a better event schedule.

Maybe a board where people can post their events would help up the awareness of when and where things are happening, from nature walks to wood stove cookoffs.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Exactly the thing I'm talking about. Thanks Cameron, great idea with the board.

@Eric
    . I like to think that, but we see chaff everywhere ;)

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

@ Cameron

There were two scotch tastings, one on Friday night and one on Saturday night. On Friday night we didn't think to make a formal announcement, so some folks missed out (Sorry!)

But on Saturday night we made a formal announcement, and everyone within in earshot who was interested (some folks were apparently out for a walk, etc.) was able to queue up for a taste.

@ Ken

I don't really have suggestions for improvement, In large groups I tend to be a "go with the flow" type of person. I had a great time! You did a great job planning the event, and it worked well for me. If I'm in the area when the next one is scheduled, I'll be there.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

The only suggestion I can think of at the moment, is maybe not to try and make it bigger and bigger. This year there were a lot of people and, granted, I was at the "quiet" camp, and not particularly looking to start conversations with everyone, but there were several people I did not meet . If it keeps growing without the push for more and more people, then great, but that should not be the focus in my opinion.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

What about twice a year? With a limited number of spaces. It could give the intimacy of the smaller group while still allowing a large number of attendees overall? Would make finding locations easier. Spring and fall perhaps.

Definitely need better activity organization. I have an idea on that. Look for the "courtesy tent" at the next one.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

That sounds a little like the last Trinity Alps trip I took with you guys. It started out small and just exploded? That took place in late summer and was loads of fun.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Keep in mind that it was not just the alcohol intake……..
    I am sure some parents would not approve of other substances too.

Just a thought

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"Keep in mind that it was not just the alcohol intake……..
    I am sure some parents would not approve of other substances too.

Just a thought"

Yeah, all those folks hyped up on sugar were kind of funny too.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Yes Ken. I'm thinking that two separate camps might work better than two adjoining. Family types at one, the others over there.

You can tell we are in CA. only the alcohol was brought up.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

I thoroughly enjoyed the Trinity Alps trip. It was a smaller gathering and I was able to have conversations with almost everyone.

In regard to the annual/semi-annual gathering, I feel that this is a different event. The Trinity Alps trip was more of a trip invitation that many people, including myself, decided to jump on. If more members decide to post their trip announcements then more introductions and friendships can be made.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"If more members decide to post their trip announcements then more introductions and friendships can be made.'

This is the secret right there. Just put the word out. Get a plan together, and go. I announce many a trip here and the result has been friendship, and sheer awesomeness.

And as far as more introductions; look at he the GGG's growth. You tell two friends, and so on.

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

"Yes Ken. I'm thinking that two separate camps might work better than two adjoining. Family types at one, the others over there.

You can tell we are in CA. only the alcohol was brought up."

As a parent and attendee of the last 2 GGG's I think the adjoining camps worked out great. My daughter and I were early to bed both nights and had no issues.

On a separate note, a schedule for the support vehicles would be great. I ended up lugging in and out my two "beach chairs" and it would have been nice if they could have gotten a ride.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Bump.

Don't be shy.

You can always PM as well.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Bump.

Don't be shy.

You can always PM as well.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Well I see that questionnaires at the GGG are the way to go. Apparently everyone is out hiking or otherwise too busy to reply.

I guess it will be all a big surprise when you come to the next one.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

bump

and I'll take feedback on any of the GGGs.

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

It would have been nice to have some structured activities. People setting up their shelters or cooking a meal, these basic things can help a person who is new to this backpacking thing, a lot. I also heard someone mention a booth/tent for water or other items seems like a good idea, helps people who worry about people using their stuff.

Maybe a gear box, where someone puts in an item and gets to take out an item.

I agree with Kat, that it shouldn't get too big, because you can't talk to everyone. People don't like being left out either.

It would be nice to have two of these things a year. Maybe one a little bit more hiking orientated.

-Frank

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Bump. I need your help to make this the event you want to attend.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools