Topic

seeking backcountry navigator user instructions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) seeking backcountry navigator user instructions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    chris markley

@motorapido

I bought the android app backcountry navigator so I can ditch my Garmin eTrex Venture, but there aren't any useful how-to guides showing how to use the app. It's not particularly intuitive. Can anybody point me in the right direction? The app seems very powerful, so why no simple user guide? Thanks for any help anybody can provide.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Did you do a Google search? Most apps have much more detailed instructions on the application builder's website or on other forums.

chris markley

@motorapido

The PDF user guide they offer doesn't seem to cover the stuff I need to know. There are two or three YouTube videos but they don't really seem to help. I must be a dummy. For all its high ratings it must be more intuitive to most than it is to me.

chris markley

@motorapido

Bump.

Surely somebody who uses it regularly has made a user guide, or has found a better one than I've found. Help!

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

I'm still experimenting, but for what it's worth, I found this page useful:

Android GPS Apps and Battery Life

In my first trials I didn't get the "get a location, THEN go airplane mode" trick.

chris markley

@motorapido

Thanks for that battery info link. Good stuff. Still seeking more on just the basics of user guide stuff. My Garmin eTrex Venture HC is more intuitively easy to figure out.

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

Yeah. I liked my old eTrex Legend (the blue one). It survived a lot of mountain bike crashes (while on the bar mount!), but finally got a semi-frequent short. I think I'll use my Droid X for as long as it lasts, and just have that waterproof map along.

Update: Oh, I'm getting best signal by putting my phone in my hydration pack, facing up. Is that what everyone is doing?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools