Topic

My Steripen Adventure: Concerns and Vindication

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) My Steripen Adventure: Concerns and Vindication

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm hoping you meant "tests" instead of "testes," although it does make a steripen thread more interesting! :)

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Locale: AT, follow@ www.thruperspective.com

Well, I just went to check my steripen because of this and I had a couple problems myself. First problem was dead batteries. Ok, so they're a couple months old so I guess that's fine. Next problem, my little o-ring just popped out just like yours! I don't like that because like you I've only had the battery cover off <5 times!

Anyway the picture:
    steripen

Looks brighter than yours did… I think. I suppose I need to email customer support about that o-ring though. Or maybe take it to REI.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My Filipino doc said some of their commercially filtered water still had > one micron microorganisms AND viruses, as per their gov't tests. Nice huh?

I also had some Katadyn chlorine dioxide tabs in case the Steripen broke. Belt-and-suspenders, ya know.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Or, the UV sensor could adjust the exposure time up til the required dose is delivered

But to Ben's comment, if you add a UV sensor, then there's one more component to fail which makes reliability worse

Ben F

@tekhna

I really love the steripen idea. Love it. And I travel a lot in parts of the world where it would be really helpful. But the reliability of it just sketches me out. Too many moving parts.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"I really love the steripen idea. Love it. And I travel a lot in parts of the world where it would be really helpful. But the reliability of it just sketches me out. Too many moving parts."

Too many moving parts? Where? I count the cap, the battery screw cover, the on/off switch…

I've owned my Steripen Adventurer since 2009, and have used it very regularly (most often daily) on the following trips:

o 2009 – RTW trip, taking in Poland, Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Mongolia and China – 7 months
    o 2010 – Burma and Bangladesh – 2 months
    o 2011 – Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia – 3 months

My Steripen (paired with my Nalgene hard plastic water bottle) have saved me from buying literally hundreds of bottles of water while on the road! Aside from treating hostel tap water, I've also treated water from the taps of some of the filthiest bus and train station bathrooms! And I have NEVER gotten sick.

No one drinking water from filthy Bangladeshi, Chinese, Russian and Ukrainian taps for months on end escapes unharmed on luck alone. No one.

I have seen the UV LIght and I am a Believer! :)

Ben F

@tekhna

Yeah, and that on/off switch is a real doozy of a switch. The REI reviews are way too schizophrenic for me to ever consider it. A filter has a pretty darn close to zero chance of messing up. Doesn't get viruses though, which is why I want to love the steripen. They just don't seem to have the build quality down.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Well, Ben, if a sum total (thus far) of 12 full months of almost daily usage without mishaps or problems of any kind is still too doozy for you, then I suppose you'll need to continue buying bottled water — because I fail to see how mechanical filters with a heck of a lot more moving parts and rubber seals could come to a "zero chance of messing up". But then, I bet if you could witness the "manufacturing process and conditions" of some of the bottling plants around the world… you will find that the Steripen has a lot fewer variables to go wrong.

I once saw, with my own eyes, kids filling up empty bottles from a train station spigot blackened with mold — then expertly popping "sealed" caps back on. I didn't see them actually selling those bottles to anyone… but I'm sure those two scrawny street urchins weren't capping those dozen or so bottles for their own use.

YMMV, of course.

Ben F

@tekhna

I don't need a lecture about water quality. I've lived in Egypt, Syria, and Thailand–I know. The build quality just isn't there, and the reviews back it up. This thread is a great example of high-quality customer service, which is awesome. Now if the build quality gets more dependable, I'll buy one in a heartbeat.

David Ure

@familyguy

"The build quality just isn't there, and the reviews back it up. "

Where are these reviews of the Opti?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Not sure where I lectured you about water quality. Feeling touchy today, aren't we?

Steripen's quality or lack thereof is entirely a personal judgment. But the one point I certainly don't share with you is your notion of any mechanical filter being "close to 100% mess free".

Ben F

@tekhna

http://www.rei.com/product/799003/steripen-adventurer-opti-water-purifier

The reviews are totally schizophrenic. If you're backpacking in the US, water filters work. If ain't broke, don't fix it.
    If you're abroad, go for it–it's better than those nasty tablets. If it works.

Unreliable at best

Works when it wants to

Don't Waste Money or Take Back-Up

Undependable

Failed second time out

Good Concept, Terrible Design

(I could keep going, but you get it, I won't belabor the point)

David Ure

@familyguy

Mmmm. Thanks Ben. I haven't used mine but will take some form of back up with me. I wanted it for ease of use – quick purified water, rather than wait up to 4 hours with the chems.

Some reviews here @ MEC. Only one was bad. FWIW:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/WaterTreatment/WaterPurifiers/PRD~5024-196/steripen-adventurer-opti.jsp

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

David:

Re. backup – I'd say the same should go for any critical piece of electronic gadget we bring out to the backcountry.

I've never used Steripen in the backcountry actually — preferring a "do it all" system that will also clarify water and remove potential bad tastes.

My posts above re. travel use — tap water usually comes out pretty clear and OK tasting — just need to treat the microscopic "baddies". And on my travel (hosteling) trips, bottled water would be a ready source of back up — although knocking on wood, my Steripen has been consistently reliable over 3+ years of regular use. Have fun with yours.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"The build quality just isn't there, and the reviews back it up"

Not Ben T's review, which I will second. Mine has performed flawlessly, with far less hassle than any filter I have ever owned, for the past 2 seasons.

Anonymous
    Inactive

" if you ever had amoebic dysentery you know it is agony and anything you can do to avoid a repeat you'll do."

A huge +1 Definitely one of Mother Nature's nastier creations.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I have owned 4 Steripens. The first, the "heavy" Classic , worked great and never let me down. Sold it to getter a lighter one.
    Since then I have gone through the Adventurer, the Opti and the Traveller: all failed me. The only reliable part has been that I can count on them failing every other trip, pretty much. I wish I kept the Classic.

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Also something to consider. Look at the dates on the REI reviews. Earlier versions of the steri pen did have problems. They have since been updated to solve some of the problems over the years. Also, not saying that the average person that writes those reviews is dumb or anything… but alot of poor reviews IMHO are written by people who either don't understand the product or the way it's supposed to work.

Now, I have had a problem with the o-ring but for all I know I could have just tightened it too much. I asked the representative in an email if there was anything I could do to prevent this from happening again so we'll see what they say. Aside from that my steripen has worked flawlessly and even missing that o-ring it still works flawlessly.

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Kat, I'd be curious to hear about the 3 failures you experienced in as much detail as you're willing to type.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

The one thing I have learned from internet reviews on ANY product is that you will ALWAYS have people that are disappointed for any number of reasons. I could have easily not gone through the process I did, returned the product, and slapped up a negative review online somewhere.

Also remember that some people just are kinda….not smart. What I mean by that is "user error" is something not many people are willing to man up to.

My general rule of thumb is if the product gets ~70% positive reviews, then I'll give it its fair shake. Below that and its just too risky.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

No, not Microput tablets… but Android tablets!

I've been lucky with both — my Steripen and my Asus Transformer tablet. Both provided me trouble-free service (wifi connection and all) during the 3 months that I was in Asia going from hostel to hostel to hostel. Completely flawless!

And yet, it would be foolhardy to ignore the VOLUMES of complaints generated by others! No foolproof way to know for sure, but I think when it comes to electronics… one has to really test them out multiple times ("rehearsal uses") before starting on any real trips. I believe that when it comes to electronics, most problems crop up early. After that, one can essentially expect a lifetime of trouble-free service — or until the warranty expires.

Finally, with electronics this day and age, are there really products with next-to-zero complaints? I had to return my #$@* iPad to the Apple store 3 separate times! I think 'schizo reviews' are the norm nowadays.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Phillip, all of them have acted about the same. First trip they seemed to work fine. I would use them on maybe four or five quarts. I get home, remove the batteries and store them in a good place, dry etc. Another outing, batteries still quite new: push the button once or twice, according to amount of water. Most of the problems have come after the light blinks that it's ready, I put in in the water and either the red light ( depending on model) or sad face comes on. I would dry it and start over. Sometimes after a half dozen tries it would work, sometimes after a dozen, sometimes not at all. Next morning could be fine, or not, about 50% chance. Other times the problem would show the moment I pushed the button. I was careful to keep the probes dry, not get any other part wet, store it correctly, not drop it, buy the recommended batteries etc . It has been a very frustrating experience for me. I never had any problem at all with the Classic, then my search for lighter gear made me sell it to buy something that did not work, again and again and again.

edited to clarify that by "keeping the probes dry", I obviously don't mean when i am using it, but after I use it and put the cap back on, and in between tries when it's failing me.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"What I mean by that is "user error" is something not many people are willing to man up to. "

I'll man up. It was definitely user error that caused me to return my first wife…..

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

I know exactly what you mean. I read in detail tons of reviews before I got my steripen and most of the bad ones talk about the same problems you had.

I'd also be curious to know when you purchased your adventurer opti. I know that earlier steripens were known to have the exact problem you described. I'm pretty sure that is not an issue anymore, maybe not though.

Also, the taking the batteries out thing. I know on older versions the steripen had way more current draw than it should in the off state. This caused the batteries to drain fast even when not in use. I know that steripen has since updated the circuitry to make it have less of an off-state current draw. The removing of the batteries is no longer necessary.

Now even though IMHO steripen has since corrected the issues you had, I sure don't blame you for not buying another one. I probably wouldn't either.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

One Steripen reviewer listed as a 'Con': "Filtered water doesn't taste good".

Wow.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 141 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools