Topic

Ti Foil Tabs made Easy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ti Foil Tabs made Easy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jim Leonard
    BPL Member

@mxracer33x

Locale: West Coast

Ive been using this technique for a while now with great success so I figured Id pass it along.

Ive been making wind screens with Titanium foil in the .005 average thickness and it punches easily with a hand hole punch. I made some larger punches for punching acces holes for my stove valves and larger inlet in the bottom as well but it was nice to be able to keep them adjusted at the diameter I wanted.

I made one windscreen that I could use for my winter pot boiling water or my summer stove "gourmet" cooking in a frypan, all with the same windscreen. A series of well placed holes and a couple of punched tabs allowed me to adjust the diameter to my needs.

I used a standard $1 hand hole punch and ground the punch head down to 1/2 the size and cut the leading edge out of the hole in the lower "jaw" of the punch. this leaves a nice half circle punched in the sheet. Then you just use a razor to cut both sides of the tab to the desired length. I have found 3/8" – 1/2" to work well.

PICTURES!
    Ti foil punch 1
    Ti foil punch 2
    ti tab1
    ti tab2
    ti tab3
    ti tab4

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

I usually use my sleeping pad if the wind is kicking my ass. This works if you want to carry it. I use a wood burning stove though.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools