Topic

Where to go in NM/Arizona

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Where to go in NM/Arizona

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Joel Huisenga
    Spectator

@jhuisenga

I'm going to be spending a few weeks in Zuni, NM in May/June. I'll have the weekends free and wanted to know where people would recommend going.

Never been the southwest before so general advice on backpacking in the area would be useful too. Thanks for the help.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Pretty far north, surrounded by interesting stuff. Depends if you want forest-alpine, arid forest, or pure desert … also how far you want to drive. There's the Jemez, a forested backpack, near Cuba NM. Also the Peco's near Santa Fe, more alpine, but I'd recommend at least a 3-day weekend for that. Very dry is the el malpais lava flow with a bit of the CDT but carry lots of water. Same with the Bisti badlands. Haven't been to the AZ side since it was on the way to the grand but I'm sure there's some interesting stuff on that side.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools