Topic

Zpacks vs MLD vs GG cuben fiber dry bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks vs MLD vs GG cuben fiber dry bags

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I have various sizes of dry bags from Granite Gear, Sea to Summit and ZPacks.

The Zpacks works well and the seams are taped so you don't have to seam seal it when you get them. The 'black' does not rub off.

I did like my Granite Gear until the one I used for my last trip completely fell apart. It delaminated in long spiral strips. I'm not sure why that happened. it wasn't old or exposed to prolonged heat or sunlight, etc. I may try and return it, but can't sy I'd buy another one given that problem since I only used that sack less than 6 times.

i do like Sea to Summit, but find it a bit more difficult to get the air out than with the ZPacks or other bags with a velcro closure. A little fiddling or inverting it and rolling it up from the bottom rather than rolling the top down fixes this issue.

I know it's extra weight, but I like to keep things organized in my pack. By using dry bags instead of stuff sacks, I can go without a pack liner.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

If you REALLY need to keep things dry, like lying in several inches of water all day dry, dont be stupid enough to use a cuben bag. They are not real drybags. They dont seal anywhere as good as real drybag with smooth rubber seal with stiffener does.

They work fine for keeping gear dry backpacking though. They are stuffsacks with a fold-down closure. I have some issues with them termed "dry bags" and sold as such, they are not. Anyone buying cuben gear though should be smart enough to know this.

I have several Zpacks, and one MLD.

I much prefer the Zpacks. Its a better made sack by far.

I dont even use the MLD. The buckle was attached to the bag with a strip of cuben tape, which slid and bunched up on the buckle attachement,(who would thing adhesive would soften up when it gets HOT outside ?) but since its sticky, you cant straighten it out. Horrible idea. You can see the "creep" of the tape as well.

Consider what might happen to something like this left out in the sun.

Zpacks has it right. Sew it, seal with tape. These items get a workout stuffing things into them.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

I have many Sea to Summit Nano and Ultra sylnylon dry sacs and only 1 MLD cuben dry sac.

I bought the StoS bags of all sizes for a 3 week expedition and about 1/4 of them survived, the rest developed leaks. I like how light they are and very waterproof but have found they only last when stuffed with soft and edgeless contents and handled with great care, i.e. not letting them contact rocky ground and the like. Generally they are not durable enough for me and I now only use them to carry clothes and sleeping bagquilt, ensuring the and zippers are folded inside the clothes or bag so as to avoid contact with the dry sac.

In contrast to the StoS (and the above post) my lone MLD cuben sac is veritably indestructible. I stuff it with hard and soft objects, pay no attention to where I lay it or how I pack it and it remains perfectly air tight and waterproof. Its a favourite piece of gear.

Again, unlike the post above I find the roll top mechanism very effective and well designed. I also have a MLD cubeneVent bivy sac and like the dry sac the seams are very well constructed.

Can't speak to the ZPacks as I have none of their gear.

Derrick

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools