Topic

New Bivvys from Rab

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Bivvys from Rab

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Some new bivvys on the Rab website. I like the look of the Latok Ultra. Maybe a result of their take-over of ID? If the door opens from the ground upwards, it sorts out the problem i had with the Wedge door. As the Rab weight of 1600g seems to include 10 stakes plus guline, it seems to be around the same weight as the Wedge.

Details HERE

David Ure

@familyguy

Oooh. Nice. I remember seeing somewhere the same beast but with an Integral Designs tag – I believe at a European outdoor show(?).

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

why are these called bivis? why arent they single wall double person tents??

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

IIRC, eVent can't be used in a "tent".

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Because the word "bivouac" generally refers to any temporary structure (usually in a military context) and not just to the items of gear that we call bivy sacks which are a type of shelter used to bivouac (it is also a verb!).

So the brits, being brits, prefer the more esoteric/archaic definitions of words than how they are generally understood (ie Americans, cuz whether they like it or not, we outnumber them).

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

From rab's product description of the Latok Base:

"Single skin eVent® waterproof fabric 3-4 Person TENT with 4 Poles / 7 cross over point geodesic design"

Just Brits speaking their strange language.

[Added] I should mention that looking at the specs, they all have belay donuts so they are intended for ledge bivouacs on alpine/big wall climbs it looks like. In that case bivy makes more sense since you're still tied into the rock and not really "camping" as trying to regain some strength and wait out the dark of night…

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Various reasons for using the word 'bivvy'. Fire regulations is probably one reason Rab use it here, but i usually use the word for a shelter used for only a night or two.
    I would use this 'tent' for a summit camp, but i wouldn't backpack with it.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"Various reasons for using the word 'bivvy'. Fire regulations is probably one reason Rab use it here, but i usually use the word for a shelter used for only a night or two."

Good point. Here is a quote from the Integral Designs website…

"MK Tents do not meet the CPAI-84 flame retardent standard and are therefore not available for retail sale in Canada or the following US States: CA, NY, NJ, MI, MN, LA, MA"

Obviously many of us in North America are too stupid to use a tent properly and our governments do our thinking for us :(

Also, I wonder if the bivy has a different meaning in the UK or Europe. Sort of like cars (e.g., trunk = boot, hood = bonnet; or camper trailer = caravan).

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

What's new about it compared to Rab's other two bivvys, especially the smaller one with the tunnel vent out the back?

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Well, they weren't available before. :)
    I like the lower height of the Ultra for wind shedding reasons.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Aww, Mike, tired of your cuben Trailstar already? :)

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

No chance, Travis! )

I'm always on the look-out for THE perfect summit shelter for very windy and exposed pitches. I blame my addiction on my parents.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Ha!

Do post your thoughts on the cuben Trailstar sometime! Until then, I'll bide my time with some Glenlivet and Guinness.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools