Topic

Zpacks carrying pertex quantum

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Zpacks carrying pertex quantum

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Conner D

@cdipaolo

Locale: SoCal

I dont know if this has been posted but dont think it has so tell me and i'll take it down.

Zpacks is now selling .85 oz/yd2 (about .95 oz/yd2 finished) pertex quantum in green for **9.95/yard**. I thought some of you might want to know about this because pertex has a good track record and has not been sold (as far as I know) to MYOG-ers. I don't know how it compares to the new M50 but at a similar price point it would be cool to compare.

-Conner

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

I've got the same thing in a Medium Charcoal Gray if anyone is interested.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Connor, the fairer comparison would be with Thru-Hiker's M90 (same price point and both around 1.0 oz/yd^2 whereas m50 is noticeably lighter).

Honestly I think at this point we are splitting hairs. At these weights there is really only two categories of fabric: quality and junk. Quality means a working DWR, acceptably downproof, not fragile (not necessarily robust, but nothing that will fall apart under normal conditions).

Junk is basically anything too weak to be trusted, leaks feathers, or no DWR.

So at the ~1.0oz/yd^2 mark we have Intrepid, M90, and now Pertex available for the MYOG community. They'll all be good enough with minor variations for tweaking application use (beter down proofness vs DWR vs breathability).

In the ~0.7oz/yd^2 realm we have the new M50, KG-8D, and SevenD (the latter priced much higher than the newest entries).

Either way, thanks for letting us know! While I'm sure there's minimal differences in quality, it is nice to see such a big brand fabric available to the MYOG crowd (*hint* eVent *hint*). And more options is always good for the consumer ;)

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Ben,

I don't see it listed on your site. Are just offering it to us?

Daryl

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Yes, for right now, Daryl. I will be putting it on my site at some point.

If you want any, just send me an email at [email protected]

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Thanks for the reminder Connor. I just order 3 yards from Zpacks for my next quilt project. FWIW I've been waiting to check out this new green color, it might make a good windshirt. . .

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

"While I'm sure there's minimal differences in quality …"

Would love to know why you are sure about this.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I've never been very happy with Pertex's downproofness personally. I have three items that use Pertex and they all leak down like crazy. Maybe I'm the only one…

Ryan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools