Topic

Olympic National Park – Bailey Range in August 2012

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Olympic National Park – Bailey Range in August 2012

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Olson
    BPL Member

@kayaker7775

Locale: Midwest

I will be hiking in the Olympic NP / Bailey Range this August. Does anyone know the snow conditions on this route? I am trying to figure out if I will need crampons. I will be starting from the Sol Duc trailhead -Heart Lake – Eleven Bull Basin- Mt. Ferry- Queets Basin- Wilder – Whiskey Bend

Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Locale: Washington State

Jeremy, I haven't spent enough time in the oly's to help you. But you may want to buzz over to nwhikers.net and ask your questions.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

It's too early to know what the August conditions will be as there are later snows still to come (or not). I did the Bailey Range traverse in late August and early September of 2010 and we had a lot of snow, due to late snows, not due to above average snows that year. It was a great trip, with some real adrenaline-boosting moments. Do not miss the Cat Walk. Close encounters with mountain goats were also very cool.
    I had Microspikes with me and was very glad I did, as I was hiking in trail runners that had a fairly soft edge (not great at kicking in steps on slopes, etc, compared to boots with hard sole edges). Some in the group had crampons and some got by with just their boots. The rangers will be able to tell you what kind of conditions you might expect a week or two before your trip; that should give you enough time to get what you might need together.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools