Topic

Fast and Light Shoulder Season Footwear Tips

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Fast and Light Shoulder Season Footwear Tips

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

No the article does not have to be new. But these ideas were espoused by Ryan J and others years ago. Mike C! also discusses these ideas in length in various posts over the years. This is a good article for newbies; not for those that live these conditions consistently. We figured out this stuff a long time ago.

Kurt Lammers
    BPL Member

@smackpacker

Locale: Pacific Northwest

David: what kind of articles are you looking for from BPL going forward?

David Ure

@familyguy

Kurt – I would like to see less a definitive approach and instead alternative approaches to these conditions. Shoulder season means snow for me and a gortex shoe works in this environment. As do tall gaiters. In wet conditions I use a gortex sock. A bit too many generalizations in this article for my taste but I appear to be a minority. I do chuckle at the sudden running to Dave's defence, however. I didn't get anything from the article – sorry about that – and am simply voicing my opinion on the article, not on Dave or BPL.

wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

@Dave:

My I ask if you have to deal with many river / creek crossing where your shoes and socks will be fully emerged in water?

Neoprene socks make more sense for me in such situation, and the article was based on that.

As far as I remember the older similar articles had a stronger emphasis on goretex or vbl socks for shoulder seasons.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'm with David Ure, the article was pretty general and no new info was imparted.

I used to live in Erie, Pennsylvania and THAT is "shoulder season" counry, wet and cold for 6 months every year and merely wet most of the other 6 months.
    Accordingly for hiking and hunting I found Gore-Tex lined boots, whether ankle high or calf high, to be the answer. GTX knee high gaiters helped for warmth and Quickly crossing small streams.

I used 2 mm neoprene seam sealed sox only as a VBL in the winter for my felt packs and hard shell backcountry ski boots but they would work well in scenarios mentioned in other posts too where you KNOW water will get in your boots.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I have a pair of fleece socks that have saved my feet in the wet and snow on several occasions. They are warmer than wool and dry out fast; probably the least expensive but most valuable gear I own. Never tried NRS socks, didn't like sealskin gloves but maybe they deserve another look.

I liked the article. It's our website; We should be submitting articles that we have written.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

"I have a pair of fleece socks that have saved my feet in the wet and snow on several occasions. They are warmer than wool and dry out fast"

Is there any way we can know the brand and model?

Thanx,
    -Barry

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I just got mine from llbean but Sierra Trading Post also sells them and I also have a pair of acorn fleece socks I got on Amazon. Nothing fancy but a lot of warmth in wet conditions. I also use them at night in my sleeping bag.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

To those "complaining" (I use that word lightly) about this article being rehashed, I ask – who cares?

The information is great. BPL is not going to be around long term if it doesn't attract new people. And for new members, articles of all sorts are worthwhile. What is one member's old news is a new member's revelation. Not everyone that reads these articles have been BPL members for years.

I personally have been a BPL member for less than a year and found this article both relevant and helpful – so thank you for posting it!

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Dave,
    You mentioned inserting your own plastic rock plate. What do you use for plastic? Does it go full length of shoe?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The plates I made were full length. I played with a number of different plastics, just about anything will work. One of the softer pairs I made from 2 liter soda bottles; after a bit of use they flatted out and were easier to work with.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

That's great. What thickness/stiffness did you decide was optimal?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The ideal is that one can tune the shoe stiffness/support to the terrain and needs of your feet. By this past August I was able to wear the stock X Countrys on rugged, off-trail alpine talus fests and wasn't held back at all. The rock plates helped me get to that point.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools